Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

AP 335 VLAN Design Validation for Redundancy

Hi,

I need some design validation help, this maybe a specific case, but I would like to know if anyone has tried this, or at least find out how AP 335's work in the backend in regards to the hitless failover between E0 and E1.

Imagine we have 5 floors, and each floor has its own access switch, with a dedicated Vlan. 

As I understand it, AP 335's will have one active link, an mGig capable E0, and a 1G E1, and the E1 will be on a standby for a hitless failover.

Questions; should E0 and E1 be in the same subnet?

Basically, if possible I would like to connect E0 of each AP in a particular floor to it's respective switch on the same floor, and preferably connect E1 to a different switch at another floor. This is to achieve a “true” power redundancy in the case of any single floor switch failure.

(e.g., 5th floor switch fails, APs will get power from the 4th floor using their E1, etc…but 4th floor has a different subnet)

So do E0 & E1 have to be in the same subnet?

Best Regards,

Eilbron

Guru Elite

Re: AP 335 VLAN Design Validation for Redundancy

Without doing any specific configuration, if you plug in a second POE+ port on the AP335, it will place that second port in "standby" mode which will activate when the first port loses power.  When the AP comes up initially, it requires POE+ to activate both ports and it will choose an initial port and use that for traffic.  Both ports should be in the same VLAN, yes.

"show ap debug port-status ap-name <name of ap>" should show the status of the two interfaces:

Screenshot 2018-05-05 at 06.09.16.png

When the first interface goes down, the second interface should take over.

The main reason why this  typically NOT deployed is cost.  If the cost of running a second cable to each access point and deploying a second POE+ port on a switch is not a problem, you should consider it as an option.  Things like having a redundant power supply on a switch that is powering your access points could end up being much less costly, however..

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks cjoseph for the reply!

So AP 335 does not make two separate tunnels (one per interface) to the controller, and it uses the same IP address when it fails-over to the second interface, is that a correct assumption?

Best Regards,

Eilbron 

Guru Elite

If you do not configure anything the AP not make separate tunnels, no.  The access point will just disable the second port and bring it up, when the first port has no power.

There are other redundancy methods like LACP and GRE striping  where the latter (GRE striping) creates separate tunnels for each radio.  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-configure-AP-GRE-link-aggregration-to-work-in-VRRP/ta-p/253447

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Occasional Contributor I

Thank You Joseph

Best,

Eilbron

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for