Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

AP- 65 not reporting available UPDATE: it gets more wierd

[ Edited ]

I just got started in aruba so please bear with me.

I recently go a 2400 controller with AOS v 3.4 installed, I bought an AP-65 access point from ebay, plugged it in, lights came on, but it is not showing on the controller as an available AP to provision.

I figure this is probably one of a couple issues:

Incorrect AOS version: Does an AP running a new version of the AOS need an identical or higher version on the controller?  If so, does Aruba have AOS upgrades (the product matrix shows this 2400 is compatible up to V5).  Or is it possible to downgrade the AP?

Existing Configuration interferes:  I did not see It grab a DHCP address from my server, is it possible the AP was configured with a fixed IP address?

Bad AP: The lights are on but nobody is home.

So I figure the only way to really be sure is console access, but I need AC power for that.  What is the volt/amp spec required to power the adapter, and can I plug a regular console cable into the ethernet port once it is powered up?

Thanks in advance.

Kory

Aruba Employee

Re: AP- 65 not reporting available

The AP-65 probably has some fixed configuration since you got it from Ebay and will need to be reset.  Unfortunately, the only way to do this is using the SPOE breakout cable so you can access the serial console.  And as you stated you need a power brick for this.  I believe a 12Vdc / 15W power supply should work for the AP.

One other option is to capture the traffic on the switch port connecting to the AP65 (will need to configure a SPAN port to capture the traffic and view using Wireshark).  See what IP the AP65 is trying to communicate with and temporarily assign that IP to your Aruba controller.  You should also be able to see what IP is assigned to the AP65 so you can setup routing accordingly.  May have to replicate this in a lab so you don't affect your production network.  A little work but well worth it. :-)  And it's less time if you do not have a SPOE cable and power adapter on hand.

-Mike

Aruba Employee

Actually, the 2400 supports SoE on its PoE ports. If you plug the AP65 directly into the controller, you can enable SoE with the telnet soe command. I can't find the exact command to get to the exact port. It might be in the user guide for 3.4.
Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Aruba Employee

Here are the instructions on how to do it. It doesn't require the telnet soe command.

http://kb.arubanetworks.com/cgi-bin/arubanetworks.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=425

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Aruba Employee

Once you get into SoE for the port where you are going to plug in the AP, keep in mind 9600 baud, plug in the AP, hit enter to interrupt the boot (when prompted), run purgeenv and saveenv (saveenv probably not necessary, but it's a habit like always doing a wr mem after entering commands in the cli). Then reboot the AP.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Aruba Employee

zjennings,

This is what happens when you get old.  Forget the easier methods. :-)  Thanks for the reminder/tip on using the 2400 to access the APs.

-Mike

Brilliant,

Thank you! I am at work right now so I will try it when I get home.

I didn't think to have wireshark either,

One more thing, does Aruba use any kind of layer 2 control protocol like Cisco's CDP?  ADP? :smileylol:  (assuming it is enabled on the interface)  it usually includes IP info in the CDP packets, would have been a good way to get the info right from the device.  I didnt see any command that looked like "show cdp neighbors"

I'll let you know how it goes

Aruba Employee

Yes, ADP. It is usually enabled by default.
Thanks,

Zach Jennings

Grrr. it looks like ADP was not availabile in AOS 3.4?

I can get to the SoE interface but after I launch "connect 1/21" (slot/port number)  It gives me a blank, no acknowlegement that it connected, does not accept commands.  (same response as connecting to an empty port)

Aruba Employee

Sounds like the wrong baud settings. Did you run the command baud 9600?

3.4 absolutely has ADP! (Page 77 of the 3.4.2 CRG)

conf t

adp discovery enable

Also, since this is at home, you could log into your router and do up a static dns for aruba-master to point to your 2400.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: