Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-93h in Conference Room

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP-93h in Conference Room

MVP
    Posted Oct 16, 2013 10:06 AM

Hi,

One of our conference rooms (approx. 60'x30') does not yet have a dedicated AP for wireless connectivity. We're going to install an AP-105 in the future, once we get a cable run to the center of the room.

In the meantime, we need to set up a temporary wireless solution for a team that needs to use the room for about a week. There are several wall jacks that are available and we have spare AP-93h's laying around. 

Would it make sense to install two (2) AP-93h APs in this room, about 20 ft apart, with one set to 2.4GHz and the other to 5GHz? The disadvantage of using a 93h is that it only has one radio, but it can be set to either 2.4 or 5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: AP-93h in Conference Room

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 16, 2013 10:12 AM

@derbystar16 wrote:

Hi,

One of our conference rooms (approx. 60'x30') does not yet have a dedicated AP for wireless connectivity. We're going to install an AP-105 in the future, once we get a cable run to the center of the room.

In the meantime, we need to set up a temporary wireless solution for a team that needs to use the room for about a week. There are several wall jacks that are available and we have spare AP-93h's laying around. 

Would it make sense to install two (2) AP-93h APs in this room, about 20 ft apart, with one set to 2.4GHz and the other to 5GHz? The disadvantage of using a 93h is that it only has one radio, but it can be set to either 2.4 or 5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just plug the AP105 where there is a jack somewhere in the room.  You only need to survive a week and you don't need to have an access point perfectly centered; your clients just need to have RF line of sight to it.  It is too much trouble to get two AP93Hs mounted, and one tuned to a, then one tuned to b/g.  If you only need to survive for a week, you can tough it out with an AP105.

[MY OPINION AND MINE ALONE]

• 3.  RE: AP-93h in Conference Room

MVP
    Posted Oct 16, 2013 10:20 AM

What if, hypothetically, we couldn't get a cable run to the center of the room for an AP-105. Would my strategy work well?

• 4.  RE: AP-93h in Conference Room

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 16, 2013 10:26 AM

@derbystar16 wrote:

What if, hypothetically, we couldn't get a cable run to the center of the room for an AP-105. Would my strategy work well?

If you are attempting to do something like band-steering  to encourage 5ghz users to the a-band, single-band access points like the AP93H will not support that, so you are at the mercy of your clients.  You could very well end up with few, if any users on the 5ghz AP93H.  This is just something to consider..

Again, do you NOT have to mount the AP105 in the center of the room to get effective RF.

• 5.  RE: AP-93h in Conference Room

MVP
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 09:29 AM

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it. I'll take your advice and use a 105 in a temp setup.

I hope that Aruba comes out with an AP-93h type AP that has dual radios like the AP-105s. The 93h's are perfect for our dorm rooms but having the availability of 2.4 and 5GHz at the same time would be amazing.

• 6.  RE: AP-93h in Conference Room

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 09:30 AM
    Please request that in the idea is portal so that your idea can be heard

• 7.  RE: AP-93h in Conference Room

MVP
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 09:45 AM

What's the link to the portal? I want to make sure I'm going to the right location.

• 8.  RE: AP-93h in Conference Room

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2013 09:46 AM
    Support.Arubanetworks.com

• 9.  RE: AP-93h in Conference Room

Posted Oct 16, 2013 10:17 AM

answered