Wireless Access

New Contributor

AP Controller discovery by DHCP (Windows Server)

Hi folks

I'm trying to setup the DHCP Options (43, 60) for Controller discovery.

Unfortunately the Option 60 is already used by PXE.

Is there any possibility to create a vendor class for the Aruba Components or similar?

Everything I found about it is very old and exactly describe how not to do is (in the Default DHCP Server space).

ArubaOS: 8.2

Thanks,

Adrian

Re: AP Controller discovery by DHCP (Windows Server)

I'm not an expert on the Windows DHCP server, however, the AP will send a Vendor class identifier (Option 60) with the value: ArubaAP. It should be possible to configure a policy for this specific vendor class identifier to only return the controller IP if it is an Aruba AP requesting an IP address.

Below a screenshot of an AP DHCP request:

2018-02-05 14_31_30-dhcp.cap.png

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
New Contributor

Hi Herman

Thanks for the feedback.

I understand the basics but unfortunately I don't understand how a Windows DHCP will be correctly configured for that. I have already tried to configure a Vendor Class ID with the string "ArubaAP" but it isn't working.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian,

I'm not a Windows DHCP expert, so I would need to build a lap setup for that. I did find how to do it on DNSMasq on Linux (and for ArubaOS switch to discover Airwave):

# Next line matches all HPE Aruba switches on the substring Switch dslforum.org:
dhcp-vendorclass=arubaswitch,"Switch dslforum.org"

dhcp-range=set:vlan10,10.1.10.100,10.1.10.199,255.255.255.0
dhcp-option=net:arubaswitch,set:vlan10,encap:43,146,"Team1:Team1,10.1.254.25,password"

Maybe others on the community know how to do this in Windows DHCP?

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: