Wireless Access

New Contributor

AP Failover and client dhcp

I've inherited an Aruba setup and am trying to both reverse engineer it and determine what needs to be fixed.

I have a Master controller and a local controller.
The ap system-profile is configured with backup-lms to the master. 

When the local fails, the APs *do* failover to the Master successfully. The issue we found is that new Clients were not able to get an IP Address during this period. DHCP is currently configured on the site router for the particular SSID in question - it is not on the controllers.

My question is, what's the configuration needed (if it's possible) to allow that a new client would still obtain an IP Address when the local controller has failed and the AP is now connected to the Master.

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: AP Failover and client dhcp

When using Backup LMS-based failover or VRRP-based failover (without HA Fast Failover), The clients must be bridged to the same Layer 2 VLAN to continue connectivity smoothly.  If you are using HA fast failover (http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6_5_4_X_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvFastFailover.htm%3FTocPath%3DArubaOS%2520User%2520Guide%2520Topics%7CVirtual%2520Router%2520Redundancy%2520Protocol%2520(VRRP)%7C_____5), clients are deauthed before the AP goes to the second controller, so they will attempt to obtain an ip address from the new VLAN.

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: