Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Fast Failover Reason

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AP Fast Failover Reason

Posted Apr 18, 2017 07:20 AM

Hi Airheads,

Is there anything that tells me the reason for an AP Failover? I am seeing some APs failing over even though there's nothing wrong with the network. The controller has been up since it was installed and serves about 50 active APs, 50 standby APs, some APs are at the same site as the controller, others are at satellite sites connected via a 10Mbps WAN link. 

At the satellite sites, I could understand but it's never all the APs failing over, only one or 2. Even a few APs based at the same site as the controller are failing over. Again, it's not all the APs and they are connected into the same switch. I have ruled network congestion out on the satellite sites as usage rarely get over 50% for many of them.

On the HA:FF Settings, I have Inter-Controller heartbeat enabled at 5*100ms. Preemption is disabled. If it was the inter-controller hearbeat that was causing the failover, wouldn't all APs associated with the controller move?

Any Ideas?

Michael H.

• 2.  RE: AP Fast Failover Reason

Posted May 31, 2017 09:46 AM

I've done some more digging on the issue and found the following error messages in the 'Diagnostics --> ACCESS POINT --> System Status'. 

HA Failover Information

Date Time Reason (Latest 10) 
    2017-02-14 17:26:26 Failover request from standby: fail-over to xxx.21.xxx.1 
    2017-03-07 11:25:58 Failover request from standby: fail-over to xxx.20.xxx.1 
    2017-04-13 06:48:45 Failover request from standby: fail-over to xxx.21.xxx.1 

The AP's primary controller is xxx.21.xxx.1 and is based on a different VLAN at the same site as the AP. The AP's secondary controller is xxx.20.xxx.1 and is on a different site connected via a Private WAN link.

Does this mean it is the controllers that are causing the failover rather than the APs?