Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Fast Failover Scenario 7030

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP Fast Failover Scenario 7030

Posted Sep 18, 2014 05:33 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Guys,

i have one question, maybe someone has an environment what is similiar to the one we are going to plan. But I am not sure about the failover scenario.

Environment:

We have 4x 7030-Controllers.

2 are acting as a Master-Redundancy

2 are acting as a Local-Redundancy

We have 100 APs.

Termination:

50 APs are terminating on each Local-Controller.

There will be an HA-Group where the both Locals are inside.

Both with Dual-Role because of the Active/Active Design.

two AP-Groups:

LMS-IP: Local-Controller-01 and Local-Controller-02

BMLS-IP: Master-VRRP

What would hapen in case of failure of one Local-Controller?

I know that in case of failure only 64 APs can be terminated by one 7030-Controller. When the AP first connects to his LMS-IP the Local-Controller tells him the Standby-IP of the other Local-Controller OR the BMLS-IP overrides everything? The Access Point then will build second tunnel to that Controller. The Access Points who comes first are going to terminated by the Standy Controller when the Active Controller fails.

What the rest of the APs will do?

There are 36 APs who wont be able to terminate on the other Local-Controller. Are they going to contact the Master-VRRP address. I know that this would be disruptive.

I have no environment to test that scenario :/

Regards,

Thomas

Attachment(s)

pdf
    failover_szenario.pdf   194 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: AP Fast Failover Scenario 7030
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2014 08:46 AM
    If either local fails, the traffic will be sent to the master since that is defined as your backup lms ip. The APs bring up a primary tunnel to the local and a backup tunnel to the master.

• 3.  RE: AP Fast Failover Scenario 7030

Posted Sep 18, 2014 01:47 PM

Hi Thomas,

In case of failover, only 64 APs can come up on the controller. Rest of the APs will show up as "Inactive & Unlicensed". 

If you have more APs than platform capacity than think about using one N+1 redundancy model using AOS 6.4 or higher code. Only down side is, you do not get benefit of Statesync feature. You can get more details in AOS 6.4 user guide for N+1 redundancy model.