Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Locating Controller Through DNS

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  AP Locating Controller Through DNS

Posted Dec 03, 2011 10:07 AM

i'm using method of DNS to let AP discover its controller , i believe that AP will send DNS request asking for IP of  "aruba-master.domain.com"

What is this domain value  ?

Will the controller respond to this DNS request when it sees it or i should put entry for "aruba-master.domain.com" at my DNS server ?

• 2.  RE: AP Locating Controller Through DNS
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2011 12:06 PM

The AP will request "aruba-master.<whatever your dhcp server supplies as the domain suffix>".  If it resolves that address, it will attempt to contact the controller on that address and that is the end of it.  You need to put an entry on your DNS server, pointing to your controller to make this work, yes.

• 3.  RE: AP Locating Controller Through DNS

Posted Dec 03, 2011 12:11 PM

Thanks , So i will put entry for  "aruba-master.domain " , not only for "aruba-master"

• 4.  RE: AP Locating Controller Through DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2011 12:27 PM

Only put aruba-master, but in the correct forward zone that corresponds to that domain.

• 5.  RE: AP Locating Controller Through DNS

Posted May 16, 2012 05:46 AM

Hello,

does the dns name of the controller has to be aruba-master, is this strict or can I just use any dns name I want when I configure it on AP?

Regards,

Kokel

• 6.  RE: AP Locating Controller Through DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2012 07:11 AM

You can certainly use your own, but you would have to reprovision your access points to point to that.  By default, they try to connect to aruba-master.