Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2017 08:50 AM

We are currently monitoring Aruba APs using Airwave 8.2.3.  AMON and SNMP ver 2.  The issue we are experiencing  is the AP Location field is not being populated from the AP SNMP System location field from the controller.  Any ideas why this is not working?

• 2.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2017 10:34 AM

Hi,

We have the location field only under the monitor page for the controller and not for APs. Could you confirm whether you are not seeing it for the controllers as well?

Controller monitor page
    Controller.PNG
    AP Monitor page
    AP.PNG

• 3.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2017 11:36 AM

Below is what I'm refering to.  There is no Location information for either APs or controllers. 

Airwave.png

• 4.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2017 11:58 AM

Got it. In this for APs it wont be showing, as we dont have the location field if we navigate to AP monitor page. 

For controllers could you share a screen shot of the sys location set on the controller web interface? Also, please share the output for below snmp walk from Airwave CLI,

# s2w <Controller IP>  <Community string> sysLocation

• 5.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2017 01:11 PM

I take it the location field was removed in 8.2.3 because version 8.2.0.1 has it.  Example of this below.

1.png

• 6.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

Posted May 14, 2018 05:48 AM

Any chance this thread could be revived? There did not appear to be any answer to the issue. I am running soem AP reports and the SNMP location would be very valuable. It is populated on the controllers but is not picked up in the Airwave report. Also there is now no-where to add location in the device configuration:

Capture.JPG

• 7.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2018 05:59 AM

Do you have the syslocation defined in the controller's configuration?

config t

syslocation "location of controller"

AP locations are set separately in each access point's provisioning page on the controller's GUI.  After this is done, it takes some time for Airwave to read that variable from each access point.

• 8.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

Posted May 14, 2018 06:04 AM

Yes syslocation is set. The Airwave report picks up the WLAN controllers SNMP location but not the AP's. The AP locations have been set on the controllers for years

• 9.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2018 06:09 AM

When you say the AP locations have been set for years, where are they set and how would you look at them?

• 10.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

Posted May 14, 2018 06:20 AM

It is set in the controller AP provisioning page:

Capture2.JPG

• 11.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

Posted May 14, 2018 06:22 AM

I don't know another way of seeing the info from the CLI other than reading the boot info

• 12.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2018 06:31 AM

Very good.  That is where it should be.  Airwave reads this information by executing "show ap provisioning ap-name " on the commandline of the controller to obtain that information.  Unless you have Airwave provisioned with the username and the password (and enable password) of the controller, Airwave will not be able to obtain that information.  I don't think you need to have the controller be in manage mode by airwave for airwave to obtain this information.

On the controller you can monitor what Airwave is typing by doing this:

config t

audit-trail all

Then you can type "show audit-trail 50" to see what Airwave is obtaining from the controller.

• 13.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

Posted May 14, 2018 09:25 AM

Ok, I tried this but I don't see anything from Airwave in the audit trail relating to pulling AP details even if I click 'Poll Controller'.

Airwave has the correct login rights as it logs in to backup the flash each night and I can see this in the audit trail 

• 14.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2018 01:11 PM

Okay.  It seems that the APs environment variables are only polled when an AP transitions from down to up.  If you have an access point that you can keep disconnected for more than 5 minutes (the polling period) and then bring it up, we can see from the audit trail if Airwave attempts to retrieve the provisioning parameters of that AP (which is where the syslocation of the AP is stored) when it is detected as transitioning from down to up.

• 15.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

Posted May 17, 2018 06:21 AM

I have tried this now but no luck unfortunately. I do not see anything regarding the provisioning parameters in the audit trail from Airwave and the location details are not picked up. Airwave does see the uptime of the AP. The only detail I see from Airwave on the master or local controllers is:

May 17 01:54:30  fpcli: USER:airwaves@1.1.1.1 COMMAND:<encrypt disable > -- command executed successfully
    May 17 01:54:43  fpcli: USER:airwaves@1.1.1.1 COMMAND:<show local-userdb-guest > -- command executed successfully
    May 17 01:54:43  fpcli: USER:airwaves@1.1.1.1 COMMAND:<show vrrp > -- command executed successfully
    May 17 01:54:43  fpcli: USER:airwaves@1.1.1.1 COMMAND:<show master-redundancy > -- command executed successfully
    May 17 01:54:43  fpcli: USER:airwaves@1.1.1.1 COMMAND:<show license limits > -- command executed successfully
    May 17 01:54:43  fpcli: USER:airwaves@1.1.1.1 COMMAND:<show mobility-managers > -- command executed successfully
    May 17 01:57:15  fpcli: USER:airwaves@1.1.1.1 COMMAND:<backup flash > -- command executed successfully
    May 17 01:57:48  fpcli: USER:airwaves@1.1.1.1 COMMAND:<copy flash: "flashbackup.tar.gz" scp: "1.1.1.1" "scpuser16083" "/tmp/flashbackup_6542_6212_1526518569.tar.gz" > -- command executed successfully

• 16.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 06:23 AM

If you haven't already, please open a TAC case.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/

• 17.  RE: AP SNMP System Location not present in Airwave

Posted May 17, 2018 08:59 AM

I spoke to TAC and they have confimed that AP SNMP location is no longer available in the current Airwave version. They suggested that I raise this as a feature request for future versions.