Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

AP Up, but radios down?

Alright, on to the next issue. Now that I'm able to get these APs provisioned, 2 out of the 8 so far are coming to an "up" state but the radios are not coming up. I'm provisioning them in alternating AP groups, but I've seen it happen with both, so I know it's not related to the AP Group.

Any ideas what would be preventing the radios from coming on?

Aruba Employee

Re: AP Up, but radios down?

Could you start by giving us the output from a "show ap database" command? You can always do a "| include 135" if this only releates to the AP-135 that you are troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Thanks,

Zach Jennings

Have you configured anything non default in the ARM or radio profiles for the groups? Mode aware ARM can cause this if the interference levels are high.

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)

Oh, and a "show ap active" output will help show what it's doing too.

What's the configuration like within the AP group? How many VAPs did you add?

Interestingly enough, after rebooting sometimes the radios come right up. However, I'm just basing whether the radios are up or not based on whether I see a channel assigned to the radio. Sometimes I do see channels assigned to the radios but the radio LEDs are not lit up on the APs. Should I be concerned about this?

I haven't done anything weird in the ARM profile at all. The only thing I changed it to was multi-band (I think it defaults single-band?)

Guru Elite

On the commandline, type "show audit-trail" to see what you typed.  You might be able to figure it out.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I think we need to see your config (AP groups, VAPs and radio/ARM settings). Just a snapshot of those bits. And an output from a "show audit-trail", "show ap active" and "show ap database long".

The radio lights should definately be on if the AP is functioning as a normal AP (with a VAP), and has a tunnel to the controller up.

Alright, here's a good example. AP shows as up but no channels assigned and no radio LEDs.

As far as the config goes - I have two AP groups (group_a and group_b) but they use the same VAP, ARM profile, SSID profile... the only difference is the AP system profile... each different one has swapped LMS IPs to provide load balancing.

And just to reiterate... this is one subnet... the two controllers and the AP are connected by a simple, dumb switch.

show ap active:

(TerminalRoad-Master) #show ap active

Active AP Table
---------------
Name  Group  IP Address  11g Clients  11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  11a Clients  11a Ch/E
IRP/MaxEIRP  AP Type  Flags  Uptime  Outer IP
----  -----  ----------  -----------  -------------------  -----------  --------
-----------  -------  -----  ------  --------

Flags: a = Reduce ARP packets in the air;  A = Enet1 in active/standby mode;
       B = Battery Boost On; C = Cellular; D = Disconn. Extra Calls On;
       d = Drop Mcast/Bcast On; E = Wired AP enabled; K = 802.11K Enabled;
       L = Client Balancing Enabled; M = Mesh; N = 802.11b protection disabled;

P = PPPOE; R = Remote AP; X = Maintenance Mode;
       2 = Using IKE version 2;

Channel followed by "*" indicates channel selected due to unsupported configured
 channel.
"Spectrum" followed by "^" indicates Local Spectrum Override in effect.

Num APs:0

show ap database long:

(TerminalRoad-Master) #show ap database long

AP Database
-----------
Name               Group    AP Type  IP Address   Status     Flags  Switch IP
 Wired MAC Address  Serial #   Slot/Port  FQLN  Outer IP  User
----               -----    -------  ----------   ------     -----  ---------
 -----------------  --------   ---------  ----  --------  ----
d8:c7:c8:c0:c7:c0  Group_A  135      10.206.1.86  Up 3m:33s         10.206.1.81
 d8:c7:c8:c0:c7:c0  AX0025568             N/A   N/A
d8:c7:c8:cb:0a:fa  Group_B  134      10.206.1.99  Down              10.206.1.81
 d8:c7:c8:cb:0a:fa  AX0034173             N/A   N/A
d8:c7:c8:cb:10:54  Group_A  134      10.206.1.96  Down              10.206.1.80
 d8:c7:c8:cb:10:54  AX0034858             N/A   N/A
d8:c7:c8:cb:10:bc  Group_B  134      10.206.1.93  Down              10.206.1.81
 d8:c7:c8:cb:10:bc  AX0034910             N/A   N/A
d8:c7:c8:cb:10:f0  Group_B  134      10.206.1.91  Down              10.206.1.81
 d8:c7:c8:cb:10:f0  AX0034936             N/A   N/A

Flags: U = Unprovisioned; N = Duplicate name; G = No such group; L = Unlicensed
       I = Inactive; H = Using 802.11n license; D = Dirty or no config
       X = Maintenance Mode; P = PPPoE AP; B = Built-in AP
       R = Remote AP; R- = Remote AP requires Auth; C = Cellular RAP; c = CERT-b
ased RAP; 2=Using IKE version 2
       M = Mesh node; Y = Mesh Recovery

Total APs:5

show audit-trail: see attached file.

Here's something interesting... I've got a mix of AP134s and AP135s. I've noticed a difference between them. When the 134s boot up, after they upgrade their image they show up as unprovisioned access points. However, the 135s come up and automatically show as "up" with radio channels assigned, in the AP group 'default', but are flagged inactive, and while the radio LEDs are on, they are amber, not green. 

When I provision these I'm setting a static IP (which is still valid on the subnet) but assigning a default gateway that doesn't currently exist on the network. I would think this should matter since the controller is only 1 hop away anyway.... right?

Guru Elite

AP 134s need to be provisioned with the DB of the connected external antenna, otherwise they won't come up.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

cjoseph wrote:

AP 134s need to be provisioned with the DB of the connected external antenna, otherwise they won't come up.

I'm definitely entering that. Actually I don't think it'll even let you provision with those fields blank. Well, at least it didn't let you back in the 3.x.x.x times.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: