Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP booting process with Master and Local controller

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP booting process with Master and Local controller

Posted Mar 02, 2016 10:50 PM

Hi All,

I have configured DHCP option 43 to discover Master controller & from there I have provisioned the AP to a different AP group where the LMS ips are configured. Now all the APs came up to the local.

So far its fine.

But I got few question, If for some reason my master controller goes down and AP associated to the local controller also reboot at the same time, will the AP try to contact the master ?

• 2.  RE: AP booting process with Master and Local controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 11:19 PM

Okay,  

Based on your description, when the AP boots, it does this:

Boot> Option 43> Master> Local (because of LMS-IP).  If the master goes down and the AP reboots, option 43 will try to find the master and find nothing, so the AP will not come up if the master is down and the AP reboots.

• 3.  RE: AP booting process with Master and Local controller

Posted Mar 02, 2016 11:36 PM

So you meant to say every time an AP reboots it will look for the master regardless its provisioned to LMS or not ?

and if master is not reachable it won't come up to the LMS ?

• 4.  RE: AP booting process with Master and Local controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 11:41 PM

Correct.  The LMS is not saved when the AP reboots.  When the AP reboots, it finds its controller using the DHCP Option.

• 5.  RE: AP booting process with Master and Local controller

Posted Mar 02, 2016 11:53 PM

Thanks Colin for the clarification,

Is there any option to tell the AP to contact LMS and not the Master every time it reboots ?

• 6.  RE: AP booting process with Master and Local controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2016 01:16 AM

You can point your Option 43 to the IP of the local(s) instead, or you can chose to use DNS and round-robin the master and local IP addresses. If one is down eventually the AP will round robin to the other.

• 7.  RE: AP booting process with Master and Local controller

Posted Mar 03, 2016 07:14 AM

Thanks,

It seems that DNS is the better option.