Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP down but pingable from controller

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  AP down but pingable from controller

Posted Mar 07, 2013 07:22 AM

One master controller at main site running 6.1.3.3 and several AP's at branch offices. Since today one AP shows as "down" but I can ping it from the master controller. Tried to reboot the master and AP. In a traffic capture I have noticed no (GRE) traffic whatsoever from the AP towards the master controller. Traffic rules allowed all communication in both directions to/from AP and controller. The AP's have static IPs and the IP of the controller is also statically configured, so no ADP/DNS/DCHP whatsoever.

I'm guessing I don't have any other options than to verify this with a console cable? Or is this a remote way to access the AP?

Why could the AP lose their "master" configuration setting?

• 2.  RE: AP down but pingable from controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2013 09:00 AM

Or if the AP does not have a discovery method locally...

• 3.  RE: AP down but pingable from controller

Posted Mar 07, 2013 09:11 AM

Do they show up on the local controllers ?

If the APs show up on the local  is possible that the master - local are having issues syncing this particular information 

run a show gap-debug on the local and master and provide the results 

• 4.  RE: AP down but pingable from controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 07, 2013 10:11 AM

Perhaps run a printenv on the AP and see what the master is? Can you ping from the AP to the master?

I recently (accidentally) provisioned an AP to an IP address which didn't exists and saw the exact same issue :smileyvery-happy:

• 5.  RE: AP down but pingable from controller
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 08, 2013 07:55 AM

Found no way of changing this remotely so branched it directly through console and did a factory reset. Instead of statically configuring the master IP I enabled DHCP configurations with DNS discovery. Problem solved.