Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP model specific profiles?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  AP model specific profiles?

Posted Sep 24, 2013 04:37 AM

Ive recently taken over management of our wifi, and have been rolling out 93's and 105's.  We currently have a high quantity of 61's and 65's.  The 61's and 65's, have been using the same default profile, and Im wondering whether AP specific profiles hsould be configured, especially for a mix of single and dual radio ap's.  

We recently had an engineer on site, who seemed to think some of the default settings werent appropriate for the radios.  In particular, he commented that the "Allowed bands for 40MHz channels" in the .11g ARM profile, shouldnt be enabled for .11g.   He also seemed to think that the Max and Min Tx values also werent optimal.  I would have thought that such options would not be available if they werent appropriate, but this may not be the case.

I dont know what the defual values should have been, as I think they may have been tweaked in the past, rather than creating new profiles.  

I would like to find out if specific APs have optimal profiles, as we have been having some strange issues.. so I want to make sure its not down to a misconfigured profiles.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: AP model specific profiles?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2013 07:21 AM

@$k3l3t0r wrote:

Ive recently taken over management of our wifi, and have been rolling out 93's and 105's.  We currently have a high quantity of 61's and 65's.  The 61's and 65's, have been using the same default profile, and Im wondering whether AP specific profiles hsould be configured, especially for a mix of single and dual radio ap's.  

We recently had an engineer on site, who seemed to think some of the default settings werent appropriate for the radios.  In particular, he commented that the "Allowed bands for 40MHz channels" in the .11g ARM profile, shouldnt be enabled for .11g.   He also seemed to think that the Max and Min Tx values also werent optimal.  I would have thought that such options would not be available if they werent appropriate, but this may not be the case.

I dont know what the defual values should have been, as I think they may have been tweaked in the past, rather than creating new profiles.  

I would like to find out if specific APs have optimal profiles, as we have been having some strange issues.. so I want to make sure its not down to a misconfigured profiles.

Thanks

- AP specific profiles should NOT be used, because they make management and troubleshooting very difficult.  That is a general statement.  AP-specific profiles DO have a use, but in the situation you describe, you can get by just fine without them.

- "Allowed Bands for 40 mhz" should be set at "none" or "5ghz only" because the 2.4ghz band does not have enough spare channels to do 40mhz channel bonding.  The strange part about this setting is that exists  on the 2.4 and the 5ghz band as separate settings, but just set them both to the same thing.  If you only had AP61s and AP65s it would not have come into play, because those are not 802.11n access points.

- You want to keep the max and min tx power at 12 and 18 respectively because you do not want access points to broadcast far into other access point's space.   Anything more than that will create roaming issues due to clients holding on to access points.   If you have a very sparse deployment, you will have to increase it to provide more power to your clients.

- Since that you have 802.11n and non-802.11n access points on the same network, you have a great possibility of uneven client performance for the forseeable future.  If you have significant client density, you should consider only deploying AP105s, because AP93s are only single band.

- Pay attention to the engineer who came onsite, because he knows about your environment, and nobody here does.

• 3.  RE: AP model specific profiles?

Posted Sep 24, 2013 09:19 AM

12 & 18, lol, currenlty they are set at 9 and 127, which are the default according to v5 UG!

Thanks for all your info.. vey helpful!

• 4.  RE: AP model specific profiles?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2013 09:25 AM

@$k3l3t0r wrote:

12 & 18, lol, currenlty they are set at 9 and 127, which are the default according to v5 UG!

Thanks for all your info.. vey helpful!

There are many, many different types of deployments out there.  Some of them can benefit more from 9 and 127 and some can benefit more from 12 and 18.  The defaults do not claim to be the best for all or even the majority of deployments.