Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP overheat

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP overheat

Posted Dec 01, 2011 01:45 PM

We have APs over heat in our network. I tried to find a way to show the device temperature before someoen told me smokes coming out of an AP. Is there any way to show the AP temperature from GUI or CLI? Or many any over heat snmp trap?

• 2.  RE: AP overheat

Posted Dec 01, 2011 02:15 PM

Under what conditions do they overheat ?   which APs ?

Can you please describe the use-case/environment where this is occuring ?

Tks 

• 3.  RE: AP overheat

Posted Dec 01, 2011 04:19 PM

So far it happend to my AP105 and AP125. AP105 even burned from overheat. The enviropment is a 24/7 air condition lounge area. i don't think outside factor has anything to do with the AP's temperature in this case.

i tried this command but don't see the temperature.

Aruba#show ap debug system-status ap-name <AP-name>(or)

Aruba# show ap debug system-status ip-addr <IP-addr> | begin Temp

• 4.  RE: AP overheat

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 01, 2011 04:22 PM
    Wow. I'd say they might be getting too much power. You might want to test your PoE. Maybe there is a problem with the switch.

• 5.  RE: AP overheat

Posted Dec 01, 2011 04:26 PM

I would agree with checking the switch, the environement you have that in is perfectly fine, I run an AP-125 in a closet with no airflow and don't have that kind of problem. I think you have something happening on the switch side of things.

-awl

• 6.  RE: AP overheat

Posted Dec 01, 2011 04:26 PM

Definately +1 here on a potential power issue at play.

I haven't seen a single device go down due to over heating despite seeing thousands of each of the APs you indicate.

The fact that occured on two different APs, which have very different designs (were designed 2 years apart as an example), leads me to believe that something in the environment needs some investigation.

• 7.  RE: AP overheat

Posted Dec 01, 2011 07:28 PM

Agree here as well as I have one in my attic where it reaches 110+ in the summer and have had zero issue with it. 

Harold