Wireless Access

Gi0
Occasional Contributor I

AP with duplicate IP address

Absolutely beginner questions: sorry!

I ineherited a network with a 3200xm controller and 24 AP. One of these has the led 11b/g/n and the led 11 a/n switched off.  With the web ui of the controller I found that such AP has the same IP address of a recently installed one. Could be the duplicate ip address the cause of the former AP failure. 

Thanks!

Re: AP with duplicate IP address

Hi Gi0

yes, duplicate IP will cause issues. Presumably these APs (or at least one of them) has a static IP set. Depending you want to change to DHCP or stay with static IP, you need to get a console cable (9600,8,n,1) and connect to the AP serial port.

power on the AP, interrupt the boot sequence, and enter the command "printenv". This will dump all the saved setup on the AP, you will see amongst other things the IP/netmask/default gateway if they are configured.

If you have a static IP you can change it like so:

setenv ipaddr 1.2.3.4

save

boot

or if you want to revert to DHCP, you need to do a blank setenv for each item relating to the IP address, i.e. netmask, ipaddr, gatewayip.

setenv netmask

setenv ipaddr

setenv gatwewayip

save

boot

you can check that dhcp is working by entering "dhcp" command at the same prompt.

regards

-jeff

Gi0
Occasional Contributor I

Thank you -jeff

All APs have static IP address and I tried to reassign a new IP  using the webui and  the provisioning page in   Configuration/AP installation but without success!

Tomorrow I'm going to follow your instructions, however, I don't understand why in provisioning page the field IP address is editable but the new value is not accepted after apply&reboot click.

One more question: I'm not sure to have AC adapter, actually they are POE powered. May I use a console cable even if POE powered?

warm regards

Valued Contributor II

Hi,

As jeff explained, we can assign a static IP through 'apboot' mode and it can be edited through GUI while you are reprovisioning the AP.

You can change the IP address from GUI ( static IP to an AP) without any issue but, you have to provide gateway IP,DNS IP and domain name along with IP .

Comming to consoling the AP when it is on POE. you can happily console when the AP is on POE, both are not linked. to console any AP it needs power supply, doen't matter whether powered through adaptor or POE.

As a good practice allow your APs to get an IP from DHCP :)

Hope you got your answer.

Cheers,

Venu

Cheers,
Venu Puduchery,
[Is my post helped you ? Give Kudos :) ]
Gi0
Occasional Contributor I

Everything was fine! Thank you a lot!

Search Airheads
cancel