Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Aug 09, 2012 12:22 PM

Hi guys,

I have a RAP (AP93) online on 1 controller and when I try to provision the AP to move to another controller, I must do it like 10-15 times before it actually comes online on controller 2. This is something I do all the time, sometimes it works 1st shot, other times I must try 10-15 times.

Configuration - AP Installation -> Provisiong -> Select AP

I change the Host Controller IP Address  and Master Controller IP Address/DNS name and hit apply and reboot, it goes down for a reboot but then comes back online on Controller 1,

It is whitelisted on Controller 2, I am moving it from default group to default group.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Aug 09, 2012 12:48 PM
    Is there any LMS IP set under the "AP system profile" that is present in the default group?

• 3.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Aug 09, 2012 01:00 PM

There is not. Both controllers have that field empty

• 4.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Aug 09, 2012 05:43 PM
    Make sure the DNS name is pointing to the correct controller. Also, if the AP is getting an IP from the same subnet as the controller then I would recommend turning off "ADP discovery" on the controllers.

(master) (config) #adp discovery disable

• 5.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2012 04:11 AM

I've seen this randomly happen as well.  Change the lms-hold-down-period to be something like 180.

When you provision the AP, if it comes up on the wrong controller, wait for the hold-down-period and see if it goes over.  However I also has a lms-ip and backup lms-ip configured.

This drove me bonkers for a while and I just couldn't see why they stayed on the master......but then eventually they all swung over.  Strangely, I think this has only happened to me for US controllers.

Hope that helps.

• 6.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2012 06:52 AM

@pmonardo wrote:

Hi guys,

I have a RAP (AP93) online on 1 controller and when I try to provision the AP to move to another controller, I must do it like 10-15 times before it actually comes online on controller 2. This is something I do all the time, sometimes it works 1st shot, other times I must try 10-15 times.

Configuration - AP Installation -> Provisiong -> Select AP

I change the Host Controller IP Address  and Master Controller IP Address/DNS name and hit apply and reboot, it goes down for a reboot but then comes back online on Controller 1,

It is whitelisted on Controller 2, I am moving it from default group to default group.

Any ideas?

Pmonardo,

Please make sure you are entering the correct parameter.  If you are provisioning a Remote AP to a public ip address the ONLY parameter you need to enter is the host ip address in the screen capture below:

host.png

If you do NOT have an LMS-IP in the AP System-Profile of that AP Group, you do not need to edit or add or holdown timer.

• 7.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Aug 10, 2012 07:53 AM

I am entering a public IP in the host controller IP address.

I am also entering it in Master Controller IP as well. I am assuming that is not needed according to your reply.

No LMS IP whatsover.

• 8.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2012 07:55 AM

i apologize.  You need to enter it into both.

Does your problem have all the time, or sometimes?  Are both controllers on the same version of ArubaOS?

• 9.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Aug 10, 2012 07:58 AM

The problem happens more frequently, I would say 9 out 10 APs I try to move from 1 controller to another I get scenario I described in my original post.

Different AOS but it also happens with same AOS versions.

• 10.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2012 08:05 AM

Please open a case with support.  You should be able to do this.  If the controllers have different versions of code, it will of course take more time, but you should be able to do it.

• 11.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Aug 10, 2012 08:13 AM

Thats what I thought. The AP moves, it upgrades/downgrades, then comes online.

This has been happening on AOS versions 6.1.3.0, 6.1.3.2, 6.1.3.3, 6.1.4.0.

Will do, I will open a TAC case.

• 12.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Sep 24, 2012 08:55 AM

This ended up being an issue with Firefox  and cache issue. I had to set firefox to clear its cache/cookies everytime I closed it,

Provisioning now works without a problem. It wasn't only limited to Firefox but I experienced this on Chrome and IE as well

• 13.  RE: AP won't provision from 1 controller to another, must do it multiple times

Posted Apr 01, 2014 01:32 PM

I've also had trouble with this, where the controller B won't let me assign an IP address to a newly purged AP (IAP) while provisioning it's controller setting because I'm not setting the 5 Ghz radio first. 

EDIT: I ended up setting it to zero. I hope this helps.

EDIT: It did not.