Wireless Access

Contributor II

AP105 Failures

I have had a few AP105 failures since our deployment about one year ago.  I have another today - here is a description of the problem - maybe someone has seen this? I've had 5 AP105s do this and ARUBA has replaced them all.  This from a deployment of over 450 AP105s.

ARUBAOS 6.1.3.1on a local/master setup, the AP105 has been functioning for nearly a year and it goes down.  I go to the site and see the Power led is blinking red about once every 10 seconds.  I replace the AP with another and it comes up OK, I provision it and all is well.

I take the "failed" AP back to my office and connect it with a short patch cable to a POE port I have in my office, same issue and no console output.  I connect the AP to a POE injector and get console output so I purge, save reset it.  I connect it back to the POE port and same issue.  This is a very strange issue and I have tried different switch models with the same result.

I have verified the cabling in use and it passes a CAT6 cable test.

Any explanations out there?  I have a support case open at this time.

Re: AP105 Failures

Typically when I've seen this, it's been due to the switch port not providing full 802.3af power. This seems to fit your scenario as the injector solves it?

What switches are you using? Can you interogate the switch PoE port status when the "faulty" AP is attached?

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Contributor II

Yes, I have "interrogated the switchports.  They are normal (or at least they report normal). Juniper EX series switches ALL models.  When I have a failed AP it will not power up from any port on of the 4 models of EX switches we have.  I d o not believe it to be "a" switchport.  Changing ports or switches has no affect.  We use a LOT of POE equipment and these few AP105s are the only issue(s).  AND they operate OK for an extended period of time (months) before failing.  And a POE tester (Fluke Meter) sez the port(s) is/are good and up to par.

In that case, that's a very odd problem. If support have swapped out some APs before, they would have had reason to. Suggest you see what they say in regard to this instance of the issue. If it involves another swap, ask for what the root cause of the problem is deemed to be, and then query if it's likely to repeat itself. If so, ask for a global view of whether this is expected, and if not what the permanent solution is.

I've never seen anything widespread with 105s (used a lot), but they've always been on injectors, Cisco or Procurve switches so it's not a fair comparison.

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Contributor II

They just did a RTF RMA on this one also.  I have asked thos questions in the past, I will present them again.  Thanks for your response.

Occasional Contributor I

This is my scenario EXACTLY. I have my 105s on Cisco Catalyst 3500 series POE and the unit was RMAed once already. If you plug directly into the POE off the Aruba Controller, boots fine, but put it on the Catalyst, and no-boot. I am happy to continue RMA'ing these, but I'd much rather get to the bottom of this. Not sure what is diff about the POE coming from Aruba controller versus Cisco Catalyst, but must be a voltage diff. I will be buying a volt meter to check in the next few days.

Guru Elite

Crambo,

Exactly which model of Cisco 3500?  Does it support 802.3af POE or "Cisco Inline Power"

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba

Would it be possible to determine the POE power consumption on these AP's? It's possible that the AP is failing in a high current mode and the POE source may or may not be limiting power, resulting in the AP booting up or not.

/Onno
Occasional Contributor I

Catalyst 3650 PoE-48., running 12.2

It supports both.

When plugged into switch::

Fa0/8 auto on 15.4 Ieee PD 3 15.4 (Good working Aruba 105)
Fa0/9 auto faulty 0.0 n/a n/a 15.4 (Bad not working Aruba 105)

Occasional Contributor I

According to "show power inline"

15.4 Watts.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: