Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

AP105 over CAT5 Cable

I have an opportunity to upgrade the wirless network using pre-existing CAT5 cable. My understandanding is that 1000 Mbps is possible but not guaranteed. I'd really like to add an additional 40 access points to the building. What problems would I run into running 802.11n over CAT5 and are there AP Configurations that I can make to overcome those problems?

Re: AP105 over CAT5 Cable

Is it 5e at least?  Also, what about distances?

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Frequent Contributor II

Unfortunately no it's just plain old CAT5 and the distances would be max 215 ft.

The Cat 5 cabling standard predates the IEEE 1000BASE-T standard, so Cat 5 was not defined to support 1 Gbps Ethernet. But before investing in new cabling, a certification test for compliance to the Category 5e standard will indicate if 1 Gbps support is possible. Many high-quality Cat 5 links will pass the certification test to the TIA/EIA-568-B Cat 5e performance level. If they do, you have confidence it is a usable uplink for the AP105. 

I believe Fluke networks has a tester than can perform this.

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Frequent Contributor II

On the off chance that the cable doesn't meet the  IEEE 1000BASE-T standard would it be worthwhile to try to use it as an uplink for the 105?

Aruba

Keep in mind that the AP-105 can operate in 100Mbps mode if it can't achieve 1000Mbps, OR 1000Mbps isn't offered from the switch side.  

The Ethernet LED will be 'amber' in these cases. 

I have plenty of installations with 100Mbps capable ports and the AP-105.

JF

Guru Elite

Most of our dorms are running APs at gig over legacy Cat 5 wiring.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Aruba

Great data point Tim.

JF

Frequent Contributor II

cappalli wrote:

Most of our dorms are running APs at gig over legacy Cat 5 wiring.

That's encouraging. What's the longest cabke run you have back to the switch?

Frequent Contributor II

jfernyc wrote:

Keep in mind that the AP-105 can operate in 100Mbps mode if it can't achieve 1000Mbps, OR 1000Mbps isn't offered from the switch side.  

The Ethernet LED will be 'amber' in these cases. 

I have plenty of installations with 100Mbps capable ports and the AP-105.

JF

When they operate at 100Mbps do you have a custom AP Configuration to accommodate the slower uplink or does the access point compensate automatically? I understand that with a faster client connection and uplink that the time on the air would be lessened by getting the work done quicker but I wasn't sure if there would be a potential bottleneck that a configuration adjustment could prevent.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: