Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP125 without console cable

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AP125 without console cable

Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:10 PM

Hi, 

Is there any way to access the console of the AP without the cable? I say to console access via telnet or other protocol? Since I do not go physically to the AP
    thank you

• 2.  RE: AP125 without console cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:16 PM

It depends on what you want to do.  There are some things you can only do while physically connected to the AP.

• 3.  RE: AP125 without console cable

Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:23 PM

I would like to send commands purge do not care about losing access when the AP is giving the boot, sometimes physically go to the site is complicated, access is very limited and difficult.
    thank you

• 4.  RE: AP125 without console cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:30 PM

If the access point does NOT have contact with the controller, you will not be able to do this.

• 5.  RE: AP125 without console cable

Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:35 PM

He has no contact directly with the controller, the AP is connected directly to switch.A topology would be hard to explain but the AP has a valid address on my network.

• 6.  RE: AP125 without console cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:38 PM

What happened?  Did he try to cut power to the access point?  Was it a configuration issue?

• 7.  RE: AP125 without console cable

Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:46 PM

actually already had some experience with the problem that is occurring, some are random AP in a boot loop, can not find the IP address of the master controller and not associated with any group. Even without connecting the controller responds to commands PING, TRACERT including inside the controller. When this happens I have to physically go to the place with the console cable and purge / reset_factory / save / reset. Generally solve these commands, the AP reboots, search settings in master controller that has an entry in the DNS where the AP's bucam and ready, usually around. What happens, some APs who have this kind of problem random are of difficult access, are usually above the ceiling auditoriums rooms reserved etc, when it is not so I have to ask the staff to break the ceiling plaster to physically access the AP, there are places that you can not leave holes or visits under the roof.

• 8.  RE: AP125 without console cable
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:55 PM

If access points are configured for discovery, they will find the controller.  If access points are configured with the wrong ap-group, they will also find the controller, but sit there until you reprovision it to a different group..on the controller.  It is when you hardcode the access points with incorrect static ip addresses and incorrect addresses for the controller that you run into this issue.

---Begin Rant-------

The majority of users can avoid this if they DO NOT HARDCODE ACCESS POINTS WITH IP ADDRESSES OR MASTER CONTROLLER IP ADDRESSES.

I run into a number of users that want to hardcode all of the ip addresses for access points and then have to keep a long spreadsheet of their ip addresses.  No need:  The controller already does this for you!  In addition, your DHCP server will have a lease with the name of the ip address.  Lastly, if you want to change the underlying network infrastructure to change network numbering, etc, the access point will automatically get the new ip address, etc...find the controller, and then just work!  You should only have to provision the access point's NAME and AP-Group.  Nothing else is necessary!

---End Rant----