Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP225 not receiving power

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP225 not receiving power

Posted Jan 13, 2015 08:24 AM

Dear,

We have AP225s that are connected with both ports on an Alcatel OS6450-P24 switch. When we plug in the AP port by port, there is no problem, the AP is getting power and booting fine.

When the switch needs to reboot (due to an upgrade of the switch for example) the AP is not getting any power afterwards.

When we disconnect 1 of the 2 ports, the switch is getting power on the other port which is still connected and boots fine again, after it gets his power on that port, we can connect the other port again.

So it seems the switch does not know on which of the 2 ports he need to deliver power.

I tried the same on an Alcatel OS6850-P24X and I have the same issue.

Any idea? Somebody who has the same issue?

Kind regards,

#AP225

• 2.  RE: AP225 not receiving power

Posted Jan 13, 2015 08:34 AM
    what IAP version are you using?
    Have you spoken to Alcatel?
    #AP225

• 3.  RE: AP225 not receiving power

Posted Jan 13, 2015 08:46 AM

It is an AP, not an IAP.

But it is version  Version 6.3.1.0 (39345) (not yet configured, since it is in my lab without a controller for the moment)

For the moment I didn't opened a ticket with Alcatel yet, I want to be sure it is indeed an Alcatel issue or an Aruba AP issue, since I noticed it on 2 diferent types of Alcatel switches with same behaviour.

Do you have this type of APs in your lab? Can you test if you have the same behaviour on an other type of switch (I only have Alcatel) (so enable lanpower/POE on the 2 ports at the same time)

#AP225

• 4.  RE: AP225 not receiving power

Posted Jan 13, 2015 09:02 AM
    sorry, misread your post, unfortunately I only have IAP-225s (which I can convert).

I would have to dig around to see if I have a POE+ switch around our lab...it is a complete mess right now due to flooding so equipment is everywhere.
    #AP225

• 5.  RE: AP225 not receiving power

Posted Jan 13, 2015 09:19 AM

No Problem, in mean time I opened a ticket with Alcatel, since they have the same APs in their portfolio (OAW-AP225)  I hope they can investigate if it is switch or AP related

#AP225

• 6.  RE: AP225 not receiving power

Posted Jan 13, 2015 10:01 AM
    This was an issue with the second port coming up before the first. If eth1 comes up before eth0 the AP will not come up. I know there have been some improvements in this in the newer versions of code, however I have a customer on Alcatel who changed a config to allow the first port to receive priority for power over the second. Not sure exactly what the config was, but you might want to look into that as well.
    #AP225

• 7.  RE: AP225 not receiving power

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2015 02:11 AM

This is a known issue with the AP-225 hardware.

The AP has a single controller for POE-PD, negotiating POE power on either one of the Ethernet ports (but not both simultaneously). When both ports are connected to a POE source, it can be hard to predict which one will be elected. When both POE sources are part of the same switch and POE is enabled simultaneously, there's a potential for a conflict which can lead to the switch disabling both ports.

/Onno Harms, Aruba

#AP225

• 8.  RE: AP225 not receiving power

Posted Jan 14, 2015 02:44 AM

@oharms wrote:

This is a known issue with the AP-225 hardware.

The AP has a single controller for POE-PD, negotiating POE power on either one of the Ethernet ports (but not both simultaneously). When both ports are connected to a POE source, it can be hard to predict which one will be elected. When both POE sources are part of the same switch and POE is enabled simultaneously, there's a potential for a conflict which can lead to the switch disabling both ports.

/Onno Harms, Aruba

I opened a ticket with Alcatel, since they sell this same type of APs, they maybe already have a solution for this. I hope I receive a satisfying answer soon.

#AP225

• 9.  RE: AP225 not receiving power

Posted Jan 14, 2015 02:41 AM

@tsd25108 wrote:
    This was an issue with the second port coming up before the first. If eth1 comes up before eth0 the AP will not come up. I know there have been some improvements in this in the newer versions of code, however I have a customer on Alcatel who changed a config to allow the first port to receive priority for power over the second. Not sure exactly what the config was, but you might want to look into that as well.

I tried changing the POE priority on the Alcatel side, but not solving the issue; thanks for the tip though.

#AP225