Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously

Posted Apr 04, 2016 02:50 AM

Hi all,

As title said, can the 5Ghz radio broadcast client SSID as well when the 5Ghz radio is in used to form up a wireless bridging?

Test units in my lab are AP275 as mesh portal and AP274 as mesh point. I'm connected to 5ghz SSID which broadcasting by mesh point while the 5ghz bridging is forming. I always thought that when one of the radio forms the bridging, that radio will not able to serve the client SSID.

Kindly enlighten pls

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously

Posted Apr 04, 2016 03:08 AM

Hello Thisisnotaswan, 

In brief the answer is yes you can share 5GHz band for backhaul and client traffic. 

From the user guide : 

A mesh radio’s bandwidth can be shared between mesh-backhaul traffic and client traffic. You can, however,configure a radio for mesh services only.

If you configure a singleradio AP to deliver mesh services only (by disabling the mesh radio in its 802.11a or 802.11g radio profile) that mesh node can not deliver WLAN services to its clients.

DSP

• 3.  RE: AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously

Posted Apr 04, 2016 03:23 AM

How silly I am when this info can be found in UG..

Next question..

Is that possible i can dedicate the mesh point serve client SSID in 2.4Ghz only while 5Ghz for bridging?

Would that be best practice as i don't shared the 5Ghz radio in between mesh backhaul traffic & client traffic?

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously

Posted Apr 04, 2016 03:38 AM

SOLVED.

Just turn off the 802.11a "radio enable" in RF management will do.

The "radio enable" indicates serve the client traffic together with mesh backhaul traffic.

If the "radio enable" is unchecked, it only serve mesh backhoul traffic.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2016 05:24 AM
    I think that you need to configure the ssid for one band only! Don't switch off the radio in the RF settings

• 6.  RE: AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously

Posted Apr 04, 2016 05:30 AM

is it? how can i define the SSID to only broadcast in single band like 2.4Ghz?

I don't see the option :S

• 7.  RE: AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2016 08:48 AM

It's in the band option within the VAP (a, g, or all).

• 8.  RE: AP275/274 form a 5Ghz bridging and broadcasting 5Ghz client SSID simultaneously

Posted Apr 04, 2016 10:45 PM

Oh ya! got it.. thanks pal!