Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 23, 2014 06:36 AM

Hi Guys,

I've got a client who's got a 620 controller and 4 AP93's. one of the AP's recently died and so they didn't experience any downtime while the AP was sent back for repair under the warranty we supplied them with a replacement out of our own stock.

The controller see's the AP as unprovisioned I can go through the process of provisioning it and it will reboot but when it comes back up it is still appearing in the default group. We have previously had the AP working on our test rig controller in the office which was running a newer version of Aruba OS so i thought it may have been an issue to it having downgraded. I have since updated the controller to 6.3.1.4 but it still isn't provisioning.

Is this something anyone has come accross before?

Thanks,

Mike.

• 2.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 23, 2014 08:57 AM

Did you use the same name as before to provision that AP ?

• 3.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:22 AM

No the names are left at their defualt so it's using the AP's MAC address

• 4.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:45 AM

Check the LMS-IP under the AP system profile of the AP-Group you are trying to assign

• 5.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 23, 2014 12:02 PM

I'm trying to provision it in to the same group as the other AP's on site and they are wokring fine so would that not indicate that everything is fine with the AP group?

Thanks,

Mike.

• 6.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 23, 2014 12:10 PM

You might try resetting that AP to factory default settings.  Connect to the AP console and reboot it while watching the console output.  Hit Enter to break the boot process.  At the apboot> prompt type "purge", save, then boot.

Also, is CPSec enabled on the customer controller?  If it is did you add the MAC of the new AP into the Whitelist?

• 7.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 23, 2014 12:26 PM

I reset it to factory default before sending it out to them. As for the CPSec I'm not 100% sure but I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks,

Mike.

• 8.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 24, 2014 06:17 AM

@Marcus wrote:

You might try resetting that AP to factory default settings.  Connect to the AP console and reboot it while watching the console output.  Hit Enter to break the boot process.  At the apboot> prompt type "purge", save, then boot.

Also, is CPSec enabled on the customer controller?  If it is did you add the MAC of the new AP into the Whitelist?

CPSec is disabled, could that be causing the issue? although the other AP's are working fine so surely it's not that?

• 9.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 24, 2014 08:54 AM

CPSec disabled would not cause this.  CPSec is "Control Plane Security" and is used to ensure that APs attempting to connect to the controller are "Authorized APs".  With the feature enabled you have to add the AP MAC address to the CPSec Whitelist before the AP can come online.   Since it is disabled you don't have to worry about it.  If on the other hand it was enabled and you swapped out an AP the new AP would not come online untill it was whitelisted.

You might connect to the console of the AP and capture the boot process.  You will be able to see if it gets an IP address and finds the controllers IP address.   You might also give TAC a call when you can troubleshoot live.

• 10.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 24, 2014 10:14 AM

@Marcus wrote:

CPSec disabled would not cause this.  CPSec is "Control Plane Security" and is used to ensure that APs attempting to connect to the controller are "Authorized APs".  With the feature enabled you have to add the AP MAC address to the CPSec Whitelist before the AP can come online.   Since it is disabled you don't have to worry about it.  If on the other hand it was enabled and you swapped out an AP the new AP would not come online untill it was whitelisted.

You might connect to the console of the AP and capture the boot process.  You will be able to see if it gets an IP address and finds the controllers IP address.   You might also give TAC a call when you can troubleshoot live.

I didn't think it would cause the issue but just wanted to double check. The AP is showing in the default group so it must be getting an IP and finding the controller, it just wont provision in to the group i want it to. I've raised a case with TAC so hopefully will get to the bottom of it soon.

• 11.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 24, 2014 06:43 AM

@victorfabian wrote:

Check the LMS-IP under the AP system profile of the AP-Group you are trying to assign

The LMS-IP is blank, shouldn't this be the IP of the controller? or am I thinking of something else?

• 12.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 24, 2014 05:09 PM
    The lms should not be blank

It should point to the controller unless you are dhcp option 43 to point the APs to the local controller

• 13.  RE: AP93 reboot's in default group after provisioning

Posted Apr 25, 2014 12:25 PM

I created a test AP profile yesterday and had a play with a few settings incuding the LMS IP and tried to provision the AP in to that group. It still came back online in the default group so I'm guessing it's not that although it's probably not helping. I've got a few things on the list to try as advised by TAC so hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Thanks,

Mike.