Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP93H passthrough ports

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP93H passthrough ports

Posted Mar 23, 2013 02:15 PM

What is that passthrough ports?

What can i do with that? or what are they for?

Anyone can explain? i cant see what they do on the datasheet... and i have been looking for that with no luck

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2013 03:08 PM

The passthrough port is exactly what it says.  It allows you to plug a cable in one side and it just comes out of the other side of the access point.  It does not power the access point, or interact with the access point in any other way.

The selling point for the AP93h is that it can exist where an existing wall jack is, but allow you to keep  the original cable (passthrough), power the access point (enet0) or allow regular users to plug devices in that can be placed on a different VLAN, bridged, subjected to captive portal, etc....

• 3.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports

Posted Mar 23, 2013 05:32 PM

Let see if i get it

I would have an extra port on my AP93H that can come fromt he swtich?

First Question

Let say i got one AP 93H

I send one cable which i connect to Eth0 which is the uplink from the AP to the WC.  Also i can connect a PC, IPTV and all that to the ENET1 ENET2  etc and bring Vlans and policies to those ports from the controller

NOIW

if i already got 2 cables comingfrom a swithc one will connect to the Eth0 and the other one let say i can put whatever vlan i want which comes fro tmhe switch and ill be able to connect anything in there... but that port IS NOT MANAGED by the controller.

I am right?

Second question

if i got  an AP 93h i can also use the controller Captive portal through wired? using the port eth1(let say im on an hotel)

And i put a AP 93H on a room

I use 2 ports on it eth 1 and eth2

Ether1= Computer with controller captive portal

Ether2 = ipphone(just an example)  with ip phones vlan.

is this possible right?

My boss already ordering one ap 93h demo ap for us so i will stop bothering you soon Collin :)  it just hat i find this product really interesting...

• 4.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2013 05:36 PM

The answer is yes to everything in general.

Check out the AP93H installation guide here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/DOCUMENTATION/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=7200.

• 5.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports

Posted Mar 23, 2013 05:53 PM

Thanks for sharing with us your valious time!!!

Great product i hope to sell a lot of them here! :) hope for a 100 series model of this.. is it coming in the roadmap? or not?

• 6.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2013 01:09 AM

I agree a dual radio version would be awesome. It's being considered..

• 7.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports

Posted Mar 25, 2013 08:41 AM

I think the main usecase here is that passthrough port is used for analog phone...

• 8.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports

Posted Mar 25, 2013 09:30 PM

You know what would be really cool Oharms?

How about a port in it that can give you POE for an ip phone or something like it?

Would be that possible? dont think its a bad idea

Could be a model which it and a model without it.

dvorak thanks! for your comment

• 9.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2013 01:23 AM

Yup, that's another great feature for a product like this. But fragmenting total potential volume accross multiple hardware variants is always a bit tricky, and if it's one or the other this adds a non-trivial amount of cost for a feature only some customers really need.

Note that if you pull a second ethernet cable with POE to the AP-93H, the passthrough port can be used to provide a POE powered port.

Thanks,

/Onno

• 10.  RE: AP93H passthrough ports

Posted Mar 26, 2013 02:02 AM

Yup i notice that Oharms

But i was thinking in selling it like, iinstead wit the traditional analog phones  to the hotels

You can sell this APS

You just need one cable  for each room

Each room will have Wireless, port for ipphone, port for iptv.

You could be using 1 AP93H every 2 rooms  i guess you could maybe share 2 ports of the AP93H 2 ports for one room and 2 ports for the room next to it.

You could save money in cabling, and even on the PBX  making it IP PBX well depending...

You rightsize it as you dont need that many ports ont he swithces... you just plugging APS to the switches nothing else...

You saving power you saving money.   And well other ideas i got i guess it dpeends how you put it to the client...

Plus clearpass guest in which they can sell advertisments... whch is great because some of those hotels are inside malls.... or really near them

I have got some meeting with some hotels really soon and im hoping they like these ideas.  

Hoe i get lucky and they all buy aruba :)

Any Ideas for hotels are welcome if you got them Oharms!