Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

APs on a Different Subnet

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  APs on a Different Subnet

Posted Sep 22, 2015 01:07 PM

Hello,

I have an issue and I am sure I am doing something wrong.  I have (2) Aruba M3600 controllers running OS 6.4.  I have a vast variety of APs on the same subnet as the controller but in this situation I am trying to connect (2) AP 105s on a different subnet back to the controller.  Based on what I have read on various posts, I put a DNS entry for ARUBA Master into DNS.  When I provisioned the APs, they work fine (as expected since they were on the default subnet); however now that they are on another subnet, they fail to communicate with the controller.  Clients on the other subnet can ping the controller and can see the Aruba Master DNS entry.  Should I hardcode the IP address of the controller into the AP somehow?

I could look into DHCP option 43 however since the DHCP server is serving out IPs to the APs and wireless clients, will option 43 affect the clients?

• 2.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2015 01:10 PM
    Is the DNS suffix that is provided by DHCP for that subnet the same suffix as aruba-master? 

For example, if DHCP gives loc-a.domain.com, it needs to be aruba-master.loc-a.domain.com. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 3.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

Posted Sep 22, 2015 01:13 PM

Hi Tim,

Yes the DNS suffix is this same which is why I am perplexed as to why that didn't work.

Thanks,

Daniel

• 4.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2015 01:16 PM

Dbennet,

You  need to grab a console and plug it into the access point to monitor when it is booting up.  Press enter to stop it at the apboot> prompt.  Then type "dhcp" and see what suffix comes up and if your AP finds the controller.

• 5.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

Posted Sep 22, 2015 01:18 PM

Hi,

I know my AP is not finding the controller as I see "Master Is [blank]" in the console.  I'll try the dhcp command at boot and see what is suffex is registering.

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

• 7.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

Posted Sep 22, 2015 02:07 PM

Hello,

Issuing the DHCP command at apboot does show the correct DNS suffix.

• 8.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2015 02:14 PM
    Did you do an no lookup for the fqdn? (Aruba-Master.domain.com)

• 9.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

Posted Sep 23, 2015 10:54 AM

I use option 43 and 60 in DHCP server.

The only weird problem, is that my AP on the deifferent subnet gets an IP from the other subnet!

This is causing a weird slow conenction. Data traffic seams to be doing a loop...what I mean is when a wireless client in the "b" subnet does a request for data in the "b" subnet, it loops through the "a" subnet causing very slow connection/transfer. I haven't looked much into this yet, but will have to soon.

Btw, these two subnets are via WAN (100mbps).

• 10.  RE: APs on a Different Subnet

Posted Oct 18, 2015 10:40 AM

@Tman wrote:

I use option 43 and 60 in DHCP server.

The only weird problem, is that my AP on the deifferent subnet gets an IP from the other subnet!

no that is how it should work. the AP gets an IP in the network you put it in.

@Tman wrote:

This is causing a weird slow conenction. Data traffic seams to be doing a loop...what I mean is when a wireless client in the "b" subnet does a request for data in the "b" subnet, it loops through the "a" subnet causing very slow connection/transfer. I haven't looked much into this yet, but will have to soon.

Btw, these two subnets are via WAN (100mbps).

with a normal tunneled AP that isn't the case, the data goes "into" the AP and exists in the VLAN on the controller. even when the AP has an IP in another subnet. the slowness probably is caused by something else.