Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

APs will only connect with Master

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  APs will only connect with Master

Posted Nov 18, 2015 08:43 AM

I have had 3 APs so far do this. The AP shows down and I can ping the AP. I console into the AP and watch the boot process. The AP gets an IP then it gets stuck at running ADP. It times out then reboots. It never tries using DNS to locate the Master. I let it go through the boot process 3 times. After which time I interrupt the boot process I statically set the Master IP. I save and reboot the AP and it is now showing up on the controller.

Happened on 2x AP-125 and 1 AP-135 (AP-135 came right from Aruba support after another AP died). 

Controller is a 7210 running AOS 6.4.2.12.

• 2.  RE: APs will only connect with Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2015 08:46 AM
    Stop one of the access points at the apboot prompt and type "dhcp". Make sure your DNS domain suffix is correct in the output. If not, you will have to change it on your dhcp server...

• 3.  RE: APs will only connect with Master

Posted Nov 18, 2015 08:54 AM

I ran the command dhcp. I shows the correct DNS and I can ping the controller by IP. I ran nslookup from the DHCP server to make sure the server can get resolve the name / IP of the controller and it can.

• 4.  RE: APs will only connect with Master

Posted Nov 18, 2015 08:58 AM

I did a purge and erase on the AP then saved it. Now it is working fine. Thanks for the help.

• 5.  RE: APs will only connect with Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2015 08:58 AM
    Can you please post the output of dhcp? If aruba-master.<dhcp domain> does not resolve to the master. That is your problem.

Has this ever worked? Do you have dns-based discovery working somewhere else that you can compare this to?

• 6.  RE: APs will only connect with Master

Posted Nov 18, 2015 11:15 AM

It is working fine in all of the facility for years. It was just a few APs did the same thing about the same time.

• 7.  RE: APs will only connect with Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2015 11:19 AM

Do you have any other access points on the same subnet?

What kind of DHCP server is this?

Are you sure you don't have DHCP option 43 configured?

Are you sure another controller is not on the subnet?

If these questions do not lead you to an answer, please open a case with support.

• 8.  RE: APs will only connect with Master

Posted Nov 20, 2015 07:23 PM
    I had the same problem. Some users hard coded printers in the dhcp range and it was causing the problem. The APs were trying to grabbing the same IPs.

• 9.  RE: APs will only connect with Master

Posted Nov 21, 2015 01:31 AM

your APs need to have a domain-name option fom dhcp server, not just dns server option.

some dns aliases cannot be resolved by non-domain devices.

Ricky.