Wireless Access

Super Contributor I

APs with high transmit power - Disadvantages

Hello community,

After reading many posts about this interesting topic, I have decided to open a thread about it, the disadvantages of having APs with high transmit power. This is the list of disadvantages I have made, which will be more evident for the 2.4GHz band:

1. It implies more CCI and therefore higher channel utilization.
  2. It helps of having more sticky clients, and therefore worse roaming.
  3. You will have larger coverage cells, helping clients to connect to APs with lower data rates. Faster clients will be affected by these clients with slow speed, APs will have more clients and willl be more loaded, and this will also imply higher channel utilization.
  4. It will not help to have a good balance between AP transmit power and client transmit power.
  5. It will go against "natural" band steering.

The above could be useful for having solid arguments when talking to collegues, or when talking to a customer, which usually wants fewer APs, and you should convince you are telling the truth about selling more APs, instead of fewer APs with higher transmit power.

All the suggestions are welcome!

Guru Elite

Re: APs with high transmit power - Disadvantages

6.  Transmit power of the AP too high over that of the client creates one-side voip audio.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Super Contributor I

Hi,

One more:

7. It reduces fault tolerance. RRM needs room to scale power up and down to help in cases of coverage holes. If already at max power, there's nothing to scale...

Regards,

Julián

Super Contributor I

Hi,

One more downside:

8. Hidden node problems.

Regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for