Wireless Access

Contributor I

ARM Configuration

I'm having a problem as I found there are APs which have high utilization (more than 20% utilization) even with 0 client..what I discover is that the surrounding APs is using the same channel..the distance between APs is not to far away, infact quite near each other..this happen on 2.4GHz radio..I suspect it cause by broadcast domain..

Furthermore, the signal strength for neighbouring AP is quite high up to -65dBm..in some places, even under the AP, I get higher signal strength from neighbouring AP..that's a problem rigth..?

Supposedly since ARM is enabled, should'nt there be changes in the channel or transmit power setting..?

I'm not quite familiar with ARM configuration, but does the configuration made on the WLC rigth..? or does it need another setting..?

Mohamad Syafiqul Haziq,
System Engineer, Mesiniaga Berhad.
Guru Elite

Re: ARM Configuration

What channel do you see the high utilization? There are only 3 channels in the 2.4ghz band...

I would decrease the max transmit power in the 2.4ghz to 12. I would also uncheck client aware so that the AP will change to a better channel even if it has a client on it. Also in all of your virtual AP profiles make sure that "drop broadcast and unknown multicast" is enabled.
20 percent utilization is not that bad... You need to see what it goes up to at a really busy time.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks for your answer..my concern is that AP with no client on it has higher utilization than the AP which host more client..should I not be worry about that..? Btw thanks for the help..

Mohamad Syafiqul Haziq,
Contributor I

Oh and BTW I forgot to mention, it the peak time it reach up to 95% utilization..it happen around the time when people are coming to the office..

Mohamad Syafiqul Haziq,
Contributor I

Could we manually set the channel for every AP..does we need to disable the ARM on WLC to do that..?

Mohamad Syafiqul Haziq,
Guru Elite

The fundamental problem is that:

- The 2.4ghz band has only 3 channels so there is nowhere to go

- You might have too many people on each access point

- You might have too much non-wifi  interference that you cannot control

The best long-term solution is to have people go to the 5ghz band.

What is the output of "show ap active?"

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks for the answer..may you have a good day..

Mohamad Syafiqul Haziq,
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: