Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  ARM Profile

Posted Oct 31, 2012 03:13 PM

Question:

I am tuning the ARM profile for a dorm building with 7 floors. I have access points on the odd number with no AP on the even number so it is no a full deployment on every floor. I have the ARM profile added to the Group with the option mode aware arm enable for both the a and g profiles. After enabling this option I found most of the AP on the 2.4 GHz turn into APM ( maybe they hear one another on the same floor) with the same AP broadcasting on the 5ghz. However, I am receiving reports from students complaining lack of coverage so I am assuming this student might no have a dual band card or the 5ghz band is not strong enough to reach the students dorms. We have the AP-125 installed on the hallway so they are not inside the students dorm. My question is can i disable mode aware arm without affecting the capavility of the arm feature? I still want the transmission and optimization of channel using arm without the ARM turning some AP on the Monitor?

Thank you for reading

• 2.  RE: ARM Profile
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2012 07:15 PM

@nilslau03 wrote:

Question:

I am tuning the ARM profile for a dorm building with 7 floors. I have access points on the odd number with no AP on the even number so it is no a full deployment on every floor. I have the ARM profile added to the Group with the option mode aware arm enable for both the a and g profiles. After enabling this option I found most of the AP on the 2.4 GHz turn into APM ( maybe they hear one another on the same floor) with the same AP broadcasting on the 5ghz. However, I am receiving reports from students complaining lack of coverage so I am assuming this student might no have a dual band card or the 5ghz band is not strong enough to reach the students dorms. We have the AP-125 installed on the hallway so they are not inside the students dorm. My question is can i disable mode aware arm without affecting the capavility of the arm feature? I still want the transmission and optimization of channel using arm without the ARM turning some AP on the Monitor?

Thank you for reading

If you do not have good coverage, do not change the default ARM settings.  The defaults work well for 90% of users.  It mainly only has to be changed if there is high density.  Turn off ARM mode aware.  It will not help you.

If you do not have access points on every floor, there is little that can be done besides adding access points to those floors...

• 3.  RE: ARM Profile

Posted Nov 01, 2012 09:31 AM

We are now working on adding access points on every floor then turn down the power on them.

• 4.  RE: ARM Profile

Posted Oct 31, 2012 07:29 PM

There is also a VRD on dorm deployments that is quite well written and laid out. Check it out. 

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/NextGenAppNote_2012-06_28.pdf

• 5.  RE: ARM Profile

Posted Nov 01, 2012 09:31 AM

thank you i will read the pdf