Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARM

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ARM

Posted Aug 23, 2012 12:10 AM

I understand that wireless is essentially the dark arts of IT.  What makes and breaks it sometimes can be a mystery.  I guess I'm wondering if Aruba has guidelines for when to tweak the ARM profiles and what to tweak it to.  

I can think of a deployment scenario that I have, a residence hall with hallway deployment of APs.  I also have a deployment with APs in suite style residence halls, one in each suite.  To me there's different ARM profile settings for each deployment because of  different attenutations.  My questions/points are:

-- Maybe Aruba could come up with some preloaded ARM settings and other air time optimization profiles for different types of AP deployments.  

- Do I need to make any changes to the ARM profile for hallway deployed APs that I have in a residence hall?  There seem to be a lot of fancy numbers to change.  

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: ARM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2012 06:20 AM

You typically do NOT have to change any of the ARM settings.  If you consult our Validated Reference Design page here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/ there are a number of documents that describe how to design, so that ARM can do its job.

• 3.  RE: ARM

Posted Aug 23, 2012 10:21 AM

I guess I was hoping to find out under what scenarios TAC does recommend changes to see if my environment needs any.  I've read VRDs on high density deployment and the dorm deployment VRD just released recently.  

• 4.  RE: ARM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2012 10:35 AM

Very few changes to ARM.  in fact, they normally argue against customization.

TAC would ask you to physically design your network based on best practices and ARM would do the rest.

For a presentation of what TAC recomends most of the time, please see the post here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Knowledge-Base/Top-10-Tips-from-Aruba-TAC/ta-p/29414