Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

This thread has been viewed 136 times
  • 1.  ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 02, 2017 08:13 AM

Hi guys,

Please I need your urgent help.

I have the 7005 controller and I was trying to upgrade the OS so on the partition 0 I upgraded the image of the OS to version 6.5. However I noticed that I downloaded 6.5 FIPS instead of the 6.5.

When I tried to login through putty I wasn't able to login with admin as username and admin1 as password knowing that I was able to do that before the upgrade ( it's like I go in a loop of requests for the username and passwros without any succes).

I tried to find a reset button on it but I didn't find any.

Appreciate your help!

• 2.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 02, 2017 08:41 AM

To restore the admin password on the controller, follow these steps:
    Use "password" as the user name and use "forgetme!" as the password.
    Enable the mode password as "enable".
    In configuration mode, enter the ‘mgmt-user admin root’ command to reset the admin password.
    Re-login using the new admin password.
    In configuration mode, enter the ‘enable secret’ command to reset the enable mode password.

You can then log back in and set the boot partition to partition 1.

#boot system partition 1

#write mem

#reload

• 3.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 02, 2017 09:18 AM

I tried this but the problem is the FIPS so it didn't work.

Any other way ?

• 4.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 02, 2017 09:25 AM

Yep. Depending on whether you're controller is a 7xxx series?

You can upgrade the controller from the LCD using a USB stick.

To upgrade the controller firmware we will be using the controllers LCD panel. The LCD panel is operated using the two navigation buttons to the left of the screen.

• Menu: Allows you to navigate through the menus of the LCD panel.
    • Enter: Confirms and executes the action currently displayed on the LCD panel.

The LCD has four modes:

• Boot: Displays the boot up status.
    • LED Mode: Displays the mode that the STATUS LED is in.
    • Status: Displays the status of different components of the 7x00 series controller, including Power Supplies and ArubaOS version.
    • Maintenance: Allows you to execute some basic operations of the 7xxx series controller such as uploading an image or rebooting the system.

We’re only concerned with the Maintenance section.

In the following steps, on the LCD you will need to browse to Maintenance > Upgrade Image and Maintenance > System Reboot (don't do it yet though).

• Copy the correct non FIPS ArubaOS image file to a folder named /Arubaimage on a USB stick.
    • Insert your USB stick into the controller’s USB port. Wait for 30 seconds for the controller to mount the USB.
      • NOTE: On the 7010 there are 2 x USB ports. Use the lower USB port.
    • Navigate to Upgrade Image in the LCD’s Maintenance menu. (Maintenance > Upgrade Image)
    • Select partition 0 and confirm the upgrade by selecting Yes.
    • Wait for controller to copy the image from USB to the system partition.
    • Execute a system reboot from the LCD menu (Maintenance > Reload System > Yes)
    • Wait for the controller to reboot.

• 5.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 02, 2017 09:30 AM

I am working with the 7005 controller.

I didn't get exactly what do you mean with LCD menu on the controller, how should I access this?

• 6.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 02, 2017 09:37 AM
    OK, there's no LCD on the 7005 so that option isn't available.

You'll probably have to follow this method:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Reset-login-password-in-FIPS-code/ta-p/180636

• 7.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 03, 2017 02:24 AM
      |   view attached

I tried this method. stopped autoboot and entered the full setup mode and all the configuration then when the controller restarts, instead of asking for the username and password, it goes again in the same process as before with the whole full setup thing and setting passwords. It's like an infinite loop!

• 8.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2017 03:29 AM

Did you type yes and hit enter? 

After this, are you saying that it goes back to the same config dialog?

Regards,

Borja

• 9.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Sep 29, 2017 03:19 PM

Hey guys,

Just ran across this post becasue i needed to set a 7005 controller to factory default.  The commands worked great; it reset my admin pw and enable pw, also left my config in place.  Isn't this kinda dangerous?  Anyone with a laptop, console cable, access to the controller and a little common sense can pretty much gain access to the system.  Anyway to lock this down so that a write erase has to occur with the reset?

• 10.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 29, 2017 04:11 PM

Without physical access controls, there is no security. The 7005 acting as a branch controller should be secured in a locked closet, enclosure, restricted admin area, etc.

• 11.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 14, 2019 06:21 AM

In this link, it is for an older model. Do you go into full-setup? If I don't enter any of the auto-provisioning options it just sits there.

• 12.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 06:25 AM

What do you want to achieve? 

Reset the controller, upgrade, initial config...?

• 13.  RE: ARUBA 7005 Reset/ OS upgrade

Posted Feb 14, 2019 03:21 PM

I wanted upgrade from 6.4.4 to 8.2.2.1. I finally got to 6.5.4.2 but had a lot problems with the login as it wouldn't remember the configuration and keep the original login. Then finally got it to 8.2.2.1 and found a procedure to reset the password (since I use FIPS) and was successful. The CLI login is succesful and I have admin rights but the GUI interface logs me in (using the same admin login) as a basicinfo.user and none of the links on the page are working. This is a standalone test controller (7205) set as a master. I logged into to the production controller that have the same OS just to verify my browsers and had no issue. One thing I did not like about any of these upgrades, the configurations did not transfer and the dififculty with the login not being the same from the original OS. I had difficulty finding any sensible help searching this community. Anything I can get to fix the web GUI to work as an admin would be greatly appraciated.

Thanks,

John