Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

Posted Sep 23, 2014 08:51 AM

Hi All,

What kind of reporting features does the Aruba Controller has? Some of the things that I am looking for is whether the Controller is able to perform any one of the below:

1. Utilization based on a per SSID. Things which are ideal is to have bandwidth utilization, per user bandwidth utilization or user (either MAC address, OS type, or hostname) session duration.
    2. Alerting when an access point is down.

For item 1, I understand that most of this will be real-time information (if I understand this correctly). I have found that 'show ap bw-report' is possible by displaying bandwidth usage. Will this be possible?

For item 2, I can do a 'show ap active' to display active access points. If I want to show access points which have lost connectivity to the controller, is this possible?

• 2.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2014 08:53 AM
    There is no reporting built-in to the controller. AirWave is used for historical reporting. The controller is designed to provide real-time information.

Alerts and triggers are also in AirWave.

• 3.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

Posted Sep 23, 2014 09:26 AM

Hi Cappalli,

Yes, I understand that Airwave can only do historical reporting. I was planning to do a little scripting to pull statistics out from the controller and send via email on a daily basis. The statistic, if needed, can be resetted to 0, for example before it gets filled up again.

The same goes for the access points. That means on a daily basis, if there are 15 access points and if one goes down, I should see 14 access points which means one is down. I believe the 'show ap active' should be able to do this but I would like to confirm. Also, if I am able to see what the AP name of the inactive access point.

• 4.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2014 09:28 AM
    "show ap database" on the master will tell you whether an AP is up or down.

• 5.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

Posted Sep 23, 2014 09:44 AM

Hi Cappalli,

For item 2, the 'show ap database' should be good. I will use this.

For item 1, I saw that 'show user_session_count'  is deprecated but it looks that it could help. Anything equivalent to the command? Is 'show user-table' the one?

• 6.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2014 09:52 AM

show user <mac-addr> will show you RADIUS accounting information which will give you usage. 

I'm not sure of any other way of getting the information you're asking about.

• 7.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

Posted Sep 23, 2014 10:00 AM

Okay, I'll give it a try...

• 8.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2014 11:32 AM

show ap essid

• 9.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2014 11:34 AM

Are you looking for bandwidth utilization per SSID or number of associated users?

• 10.  RE: ARUBA CONTROLLER - REPORTING

Posted Sep 23, 2014 08:46 PM
    Hi guys,

Anything actually. Because the controller doesn't have reporting features, I am looking to see what it can do. I'll just create a script that will log into the controller to pull those data out and email out. It's very crude unfortunately.