Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 05:30 AM
    Hi, I have configured Aruba IAP in our office. We have 2 SSID 1 for Guest auth with internal captive portal & 1 for internal users with preshared key auth. After connecting to wifi user can able to serf the internet. DNS gets resolved only for external address. But user cannot resolve the internal web address as we have few internal web pages in our env. Same works fine with Ip address. And same we can access if the machine is on Ethernet. Same way wifi & wifi users cannot communicate with Domain server as well. On wifi user is able to ping & reach the DNS server but still not able to resolve the internal address. Pls help me out to resolve the issue. Thanks & regards, Dev

• 2.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:19 AM

@dev.palan wrote:
    Hi, I have configured Aruba IAP in our office. We have 2 SSID 1 for Guest auth with internal captive portal & 1 for internal users with preshared key auth. After connecting to wifi user can able to serf the internet. DNS gets resolved only for external address. But user cannot resolve the internal web address as we have few internal web pages in our env. Same works fine with Ip address. And same we can access if the machine is on Ethernet. Same way wifi & wifi users cannot communicate with Domain server as well. On wifi user is able to ping & reach the DNS server but still not able to resolve the internal address. Pls help me out to resolve the issue. Thanks & regards, Dev

What is providing dhcp for those clients?  Is the DHCP server providing your internal DHCP suffix to those clients?

• 3.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:21 AM

there is no DHCP in env. All are static. even i've configured Internal DNS in IAP but still not working. Same thing works properly with wired network.

• 4.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:25 AM

@dev.palan wrote:

there is no DHCP in env. All are static. even i've configured Internal DNS in IAP but still not working. Same thing works properly with wired network.

On your clients, you need to provide a "search domain" so that instead of sending just "host" to your DNS server, it sends "host.domain" OR you might need to turn on netbios.  

It can be extremely painful to use and troubleshoot static ip addresses;  is it because you only have a few clients?

• 5.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:38 AM

Netbios is already enable on machine.... Web page itself is hostname.domain:8080....

But same works properly with wired network...

• 6.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:39 AM

Are you suppressing broadcasts on that wireless network?  Netbios needs this to function.

• 7.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:43 AM

no.. not such broadcast in wireless as we have just a month ago installed it. For same i m surprised as it is workin in wired where my more number of users are working. I've hardly 10 users who are using wifi and they are from Management authority so need to resolve soon. :(

• 8.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:48 AM

Please check the parameter here:

bcast.jpg

• 9.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:57 AM

I dont have option in IAP 105. Ive only Hide SSID, Bandwith limit & Band option.

• 10.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:59 AM

Version 5.0.3.0-1.1.0.1_29974

• 11.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 07:06 AM

@dev.palan wrote:

Version 5.0.3.0-1.1.0.1_29974

Are the static ip addresses on wireless the same as the wired or are they a different subnet?

• 12.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 07:13 AM

both are in different subnet.. we have full internal access in location... . In wifi subnet i tried with wired, it was working fine but doesnot work in wireless... Client is not even able to connect to domain..

• 13.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 07:14 AM

If you are not using DNS, domain clients will not be able to find devices in a different subnet via netbios.  Turn on DHCP and DNS on a domain controller and this should work.

• 14.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 07:28 AM

pls explain mehow to do / check it..

• 15.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 07:30 AM

For you to use netbios, your wireless clients MUST be on the same subnet as the hosts that they are trying to resolve.  I would just enable DHCP on a server in your office so that wired and wireless clients end up in the same subnet.  Make the the VLAN in the Instant AP network, network assigned and those wireless clients will get an ip address from the DHCP server and be in the same subnet.

I cannot go into all the details of setting up DHCP, but your clients, wired and wireless need to be in the same subnet for netbios resolution to work.

• 16.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 07:39 AM

But same way my local lan is also working in static env. as i have my DNS & Local lan in different subnets... We dont have DHCP in our env at all...

Sorry, but i m bit new for wifi... so if i ask some silly question pls dont mind it... :)

• 17.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 07:43 AM

DNS and local lan can be in different subnets.  Your clients and the hosts that they are trying to reach using the server name need to be in the same subnet if you want to use netbios.

This has nothing to do with wireless in particular, but how netbios works.  If I am in a different subet than a sever that I try to reach using http://hostname, it will not work.  If I am using DNS, which does not require broadcasts, it will work.  

If you want to keep your wireless clients on a different subnet, and you are hosting your own DNS server, put an entry in the DNS server for the hosts that you would try to reach using http://hostname so that client can resolve them via DNS.

• 18.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 08:08 AM

host entry is already there in DNS.. the site is http://hostname.domain.local:8080/page... the netbios is on default setting but still  not working...

• 19.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 08:17 AM

What role are you using for your users?  If you don't allow TCP/8080 in that role, that could be your issue (at least with the site you mentioned in the last post).

• 20.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 08:22 AM

role is any any.. unrestricted... nothing is blocked for usrs... I am getting full access in network.. i am able to ping the server get RDP of same but not getting dns resolved..

• 21.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 08:33 AM

@dev.palan wrote:

role is any any.. unrestricted... nothing is blocked for usrs... I am getting full access in network.. i am able to ping the server get RDP of same but not getting dns resolved..

When you put in a static address, there is an option to put in the domain, as well.

here is what you can try:

On the wireless client, get to the command prompt (cmd)

type "nslookup and press enter"

at the ">" prompt, type the name of the host you are trying to resolve.  Try it again with "host.domain.com" and see if that works.

If the first one works, but the second does not, you need to add the domain as an option to the static ip address configuration on your host for that wireless interface.

• 22.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 20, 2012 09:16 AM

Same i tried but not successed...

Now i just changed Content Filtering from setting I've disabled the same and worked.. :)

Thanks for the promt support.

Thanks & Regards,

Dev

• 23.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2012 09:20 AM

@dev.palan wrote:

Same i tried but not successed...

Now i just changed Content Filtering from setting I've disabled the same and worked.. :)

Thanks for the promt support.

Thanks & Regards,

Dev

Content filtering?  You did not mention that.

• 24.  RE: ARUBA IAP cannot resolve internal DNS

Posted Mar 21, 2012 06:22 AM

I was not knowing this thing... :mansurprised:

I was just going with setting and changed it & it worked... :smileysurprised:

But now everything is working :)