Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access Point For Long Flat Signal Propagation

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Access Point For Long Flat Signal Propagation

Posted Sep 13, 2013 11:13 PM

Does anybody have a recommendation for an access point or access point/antenna combination for a log flat signal propagation?  Normally I would use an access point with integrated 6 dBi omni-directional antennas (the mounting location is in the centre of the required coverage area) but I can't find an Aruba equivalent in the access point specifications and antenna matrix.

The coverage area is only approximately 30 metres squared but there are five portable offices in the coverage area.  Hence why I need a long flat signal propagation.

I tested with an IAP105 and the coverage was marginal at the edges of the required coverage area.  The IAP135 has integrated downtilt antennas so will not be suitable.  I was looking at the IAP134 but I can't find a 6 dBi omni-directional antenna.  There are 6 dBi sector antennas but I don't think I could mount the IAP134 with sector antennas at one end of the required coverage area and provide appropriate signal levels at the other end, particularly with the five portable offices.

• 2.  RE: Access Point For Long Flat Signal Propagation

Posted Sep 14, 2013 11:22 AM
    This might work for you with the 134:
    http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_AP-ANT-20.pdf

• 3.  RE: Access Point For Long Flat Signal Propagation

Posted Sep 14, 2013 11:29 PM

As the IAP105 did not provide an appropriate signal level I am not sure if a 2 dBi dipole will be successful.

My gut feeling is that Aruba does not have an appropriate antenna, which is very strange as a 6 dBi omni-directional antenna is not that uncommon.

• 4.  RE: Access Point For Long Flat Signal Propagation
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2013 01:55 AM

The antenna pattern of the (I)AP-105 is downtilt omni, which is not the same as the typical "donut shaped" omni coverage you get from a dipole antenna.

You can use antenna AP-ANT-1B in combination with AP-134 to get standard dipole coverage, and roughly the gain you're looking for. AP-ANT-20 is a similar but lower gain (and smaller) antenna.

/Onno

• 5.  RE: Access Point For Long Flat Signal Propagation

Posted Sep 16, 2013 02:25 AM

That was the way I was heading.  The AP-ANT-1B antenna has the 3.8 dBi gain in 2.4 GHz and 5.8 dBi gain in 5 GHz so it is about as close as I am going to get to a 6 dBi gain.

With the AP-134 being a 3x3:3 rather than the AP-105's 2x2:2 (ignoring the down-tilt antenna issue) it should help with the smartphones and tablet's RSSI as well.