Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access point location

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Access point location

Posted Feb 11, 2013 02:48 AM

Hi,

I have placed the access point on the room wall  (not on the ceiling) almost half the ceiling height, how do I specify this on VisualRF, Will this has any impact on the correct visualization of signal strength/coverage in VisualRF.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Access point location

Posted Feb 11, 2013 03:11 AM
      |   view attached

Hi.

:smileyvery-happy:

[not sure byt, u might change the height to the celling of each floor - to fit  your deployment  (not on the ceiling) almost half the ceiling height]

Also , read the attached PDF ( tell me if it answers your questions - if not I will try to dig further 4 you)

Me.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    indoor80211n_2012-05-31.pdf   4.03 MB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Access point location

Posted Feb 11, 2013 03:31 AM

Thanks for ur humor, I was trying to tell that the AP's are on the side walls not on the ceiling, almost the middle of the wall height.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Access point location

Posted Feb 11, 2013 04:24 AM

I looked for further info regarding the AP height - and I don't think it's a verbose that VisualRF or AirWave using in indoor deployment so much,Please read the following info:

AirWave Increasing Location Accuracy
    The Location Service will utilize all RF information available to increase location accuracy of
    clients, tags, and rogue devices. Understanding your infrastructure‟s inherit capabilities is key to
    understand how much extra effort is required to ensuring location accuracy.
    There are three key elements read from controllers or access points that increase location
    accuracy: signal strength of a client as heard by the AP of association, signal strength of a client
    as heard by APs other than the AP of association, and signal strength that an AP hears other
    APs

AMP provides four main methods to increase accuracy once your access points are deployed.
    Location Probability Regions – Probability regions will increase or decrease the chances of a
    device being located within the region.
    Adding Exterior Walls – increases location accuracy by reducing the statistical probability of
    placements outside the office confines
    Client Training for Stationary Devices – ensure non-mobile clients like desktops or scales will
    always remain in a defined static location. Statically assigning non-mobile devices reduces the
    CPU load on your server, because the VisualRF service does not evaluate any signal metrics for
    this MAC address when associated with an AP on the floor plan.
    Remote Client Surveys – provides additional attenuation inputs for corners and low-coverage
    areas without the burden of actually carrying a laptop to the physical location.

Please let me know if it clarify your question.

Me

• 5.  RE: Access point location

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2013 02:12 PM

Placement on floor level shouldn't really matter unless you have a multi-story building.  The multi-floor bleed through heatmap is an example where the height is used to calculate an image.  If you're on a single floor building, then it wouldn't matter what the height is.  More weight is placed on the RSSI between and AP and its neighbors.