Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Access point not taking profile from the controller....Access Point already took IP from DHCP

Aruba Controller 6000----Cisco Core Switch 6509E VSS-----Cisco Distribution Switch 3750X-----Cisco Access Switch 2960X----Aruba AP 135----User Attached, please find the topology. The link between the core switch and the master controller is switchport mode access The link between the core switch and the local controller is switchport mode trunk
Guru Elite

Re: Access point not taking profile from the controller....Access Point already took IP from DHCP

Are you using DNS or dhcp options for controller discovery?  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/AP_Config/Deploying_APs.htm

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Access point not taking profile from the controller....Access Point already took IP from DHCP

Hi cjoseph,

Thanks for the reply. yes we are using DHCP option 43 and 60.

Regards,

Guru Elite

What type of DHCP server are you using?

You should plug a console cable into an access point and watch the boot to see if it is taking the option.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Hi Colin,

We are using "Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (Service Pack 1)"

Regarding the option in the boot, I dont know where to look

Attached is the boot output from console of the AP. Please let me know wher to look.

Thanks and regards,

Guru Elite

The most important parts are here:

Getting an IP address...
10.0.32.11 255.255.255.0 10.0.32.1
Running ADP...Done. Master is 192.168.66.7

AP rebooted Sun Jun 22 13:04:11 UTC 2014; SAPD: Reboot requested by controller
shutting down watchdog process (nanny will restart it)...

If your controller is at 192.168.66.7, your DHCP option is working.  Next we need to SSH into the controller, get into enable mode and find out why the access point is rebooting.  SSH into the controller and type "show log system 50" and type "show ap database" to see if you see any flags on that access point.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Actually,

IP address of AP = 10.0.32.11

IP address of Master Controller = 192.168.66.5

IP address of Local Controller = 192.168.66.7

Attached, please find the output of the "show log system 50" commands on both local and master controllers

Thanks and regards,

Guru Elite

Jun 22 11:39:56 :305051:  <WARN> |stm|  Virtual AP "6c:f3:7f:c2:cd:92" rejected for AP "AZ-IT-TEST"; reason: Forward mode requires Remote AP

You have a Virtual AP (wireless network) configured in either bridge or split-tunnel mode.  Change it to tunnel, instead.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

For some reason its not attaching the file. I think the files are too big to get attached for the show ap database

For the local controller the file size for the show ap database is 12.8 KB and

For the master  controller the file size for the show ap database is 147 KB

The AP is not showing on the local controller but its there in the master 

on the master controller, its showing,

6c:f3:7f:c2:cd:92  AZ-IT-TEST                135      10.0.32.11   Down                     192.168.66.5   0.0.0.0

Guru Elite

Please take a look at my previous comment.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: