Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access points became down after removing the local controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Access points became down after removing the local controller

Posted Mar 09, 2017 07:49 AM
    We setup high availability active active model and divided the access points into 2 groups for load balancing then it caused mac flopping and turned off the other controller after few days most of the access points that are reporting to the other controller which they turned off are not seen by the controller that is up all access points are still pingable from cmd but cannot be seen in controller that is up.
    1 what can i do in order for my access points to report to controller that is up?
    2. What can i do in order for me to migrate from active-active to active-standby ha? Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Access points became down after removing the local controller

Posted Mar 09, 2017 10:53 AM

@sonStrong wrote:
    We setup high availability active active model and divided the access points into 2 groups for load balancing then it caused mac flopping and turned off the other controller after few days most of the access points that are reporting to the other controller which they turned off are not seen by the controller that is up all access points are still pingable from cmd but cannot be seen in controller that is up.
    1 what can i do in order for my access points to report to controller that is up?
    2. What can i do in order for me to migrate from active-active to active-standby ha? Thank you!

Sound like the problem where the APs are down could be caused by both controllers in active mode and no controllers in standby or dual mode(assuming that's what you're saying).

What I would probably do, with the limited info you've provided, is turn the 2nd controller back on and reconfigure HA so that both controllers are in dual mode.

Go to Configuration > Advanced Services > Redundancy > HA Group Configuration > Click on your HA Group. Remove both controllers from the group then re-add them with mode set to dual.

• 3.  RE: Access points became down after removing the local controller

Posted Mar 09, 2017 03:13 PM
    I forgot to mention that both controllers are in dual mode

• 4.  RE: Access points became down after removing the local controller

Posted Mar 09, 2017 03:34 PM
    What are the LMS and backup LMS IP addresses in the AP group of the APs that are down?

• 5.  RE: Access points became down after removing the local controller

Posted Mar 09, 2017 03:42 PM
    The lms ip of the down access points are all controller b which is down

• 6.  RE: Access points became down after removing the local controller
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 09, 2017 03:49 PM
    The backup LMS in that group should be your master controller.

• 7.  RE: Access points became down after removing the local controller

Posted Mar 09, 2017 04:01 PM
    Thanks! What if our client wants to switch from active active to active standby? Do i just need to change the lms ip and backup lms in both controllers?