Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Active-Standby Local redundancy

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Active-Standby Local redundancy

Posted Feb 16, 2015 02:03 AM

Hi all,

I have one question..

I want to configure Active-Standby Redundancy with Local controller. Using VRRP its simple but in my scenario the local controllers are in different VLAN, so i want to configure them using L3.

Is it possible?

• 2.  RE: Active-Standby Local redundancy

Posted Feb 16, 2015 03:32 AM

VRRP requires L2 connection.

this is more a wired/wireless board question btw, not AAA.

• 3.  RE: Active-Standby Local redundancy

Posted Feb 16, 2015 03:39 AM

Sorry for the mistake, after posting I realized that but there is no option [or may be i'm not aware] to move a post from one board to another board. 

OK, that means we have to go to L2 for this deployment.

• 4.  RE: Active-Standby Local redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2015 06:26 AM
    You can acheive redundancy by doing master-local which will work across L3 boundaries. It's not exactly the same as master redundancy but still allows for AP and client redundancy. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 5.  RE: Active-Standby Local redundancy

Posted Feb 16, 2015 03:42 PM

@cappalli wrote:
    You can acheive redundancy by doing master-local which will work across L3 boundaries. It's not exactly the same as master redundancy but still allows for AP and client redundancy. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

That means Active Active local redundancy and one more thing, some organization dont want to deploy VRRPp, so on that situation is VRRP the only option or we can achive this by another process.

• 6.  RE: Active-Standby Local redundancy

Posted Feb 17, 2015 08:11 AM

Hi Suman,

Adding to above,

1. Master-Standby redundancy relys on VRRP and it is Master controller redundancy

2. Master ( will be deployed in Head office) local ( WIll be deployed in a branch office) setup is required to enable distributed AP termination ( APs of a respective branch office will be terminated on Local) to avoid over load on the master and also to avoid communication latency.

Master local setup works on L3 communication (over IPSec).

3. If you want to enable the redundancy for AP termination you have two options, 1. LMS (Local ) BkpLMS (Master or any other Local) 2. Active-Active Local redundancy, 

For Active- Active Local redundancy you have to bring up VRRP between two controllers (Local ) so that there is a redundancy for the LMS it self.

Hope you got some more clarity on this.

Please feel free for any further query on this.

• 7.  RE: Active-Standby Local redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2015 03:42 PM

[removed]