Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding DHCP to Guest Access

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Adding DHCP to Guest Access

Posted Jan 05, 2012 04:22 PM

Is there a way to have the controller hand out dhcp for guest access? I know where to create the dhcp scope. I dont know how to apply it to the guest access network.

• 2.  RE: Adding DHCP to Guest Access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 04:26 PM

How are guests being handled? Are they on their own SSID with a Captive Portal?

• 3.  RE: Adding DHCP to Guest Access

Posted Jan 05, 2012 04:29 PM

We have a guest network running through captive portal. I need them to pull address outside of our user block.

• 4.  RE: Adding DHCP to Guest Access

Posted Jan 05, 2012 04:38 PM

Internal DHCP server on Aruba controller is not supported past 512 concurrent leases, so, as long as you are in that scope, you should be fine.

To set this up, create a new VLAN, assign an IP to that VLAN interface that would be the guest clients default gateway.  You then need to enable DHCP server on the controller (service dhcp) and then create a scope that matches the subnet you configured on the VLAN interface.  Once this is complete, map the Guest Virtual-AP profile to that VLAN ID and you should be good to go.  If this is a non-routable subnet, you may want to enable "ip nat inside" to that VLAN interface.

Regards, 

Austin

• 5.  RE: Adding DHCP to Guest Access

Posted Jan 05, 2012 05:02 PM

I have dhcp setup and I have a vlan of 100 applied to the guest access network. I'm getting a good ip but I'm no longer getting the captive portal page. It is a routable ip block that I have added to our core routers. Any thoughts?

• 6.  RE: Adding DHCP to Guest Access

Posted Jan 05, 2012 05:04 PM

Is DNS able to resolve?  If DNS is not working, then the CP will not open automatically.  Try opening a broswer to "http://1.1.1.1", if CP opens, it is a DNS issue.  Are you nat'ing VLAN 100?  If not, enable IP Nat Inside on the VLAN 100 interface or ensure that VLAN 100 is routable.

Regards, 

Austin

• 7.  RE: Adding DHCP to Guest Access

Posted Jan 05, 2012 05:23 PM

It was a nating issue. Thanks for your help.