Wireless Access

Advertise AP Name not working

I've turned on advertise-ap-name in all of my ssid profiles, however I don't see that come through in my monitoring apps like Ekahau Site Survey or even the droid Aruba Utilities app.

(lab-MASTER-620) #show wlan ssid-profile aruba-homelab-ssid_prof

SSID Profile "aruba-homelab-ssid_prof"
--------------------------------------
Parameter Value
--------- -----
SSID enable Enabled
ESSID aruba-homelab
Hide SSID Disabled
Advertise AP Name Enabled

Screenshot_2016-02-14-12-16-02.png

I've verified that it does show up in the beacon frames using wireshark.  

Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 12.41.18 PM.png

Where and/or what apps is this intended to be advertised to?  It would be very useful if it showed up in surveying tools and the Aruba Utilities app.

Thanks,

Guru Elite

Re: Advertise AP Name not working

Aruba Utilities uses the bss-table mapping, not the information from management frames. I don't believe any Android or iOS app will process the vendor specific field.

Many apps on Mac OS and Ekahau and AirMagnet on Windows will see the ap-name data.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

Thanks Tim, figured that might be the case, would be nice if the Aruba Utility could read it at least on the droid.  Sounds like a feature request ;)

Guru Elite

Aruba utilities can show you the ap-name by using the list APs button. It will login to the controller and grep the bss table. 

Sent from Nine

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Guru Elite

Aruba utilities will show the name if you have either (1) an Aruba controller defined in the App or (2) Airwave server that is monitoring those access points defined .

Advertise AP name only works with Airmagnet or Ekahau products that are looking for the name in a specific IE in the beacon. Android, IOS apps cannot do that.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Advertise AP name only works with Airmagnet or Ekahau products that are looking for the name in a specific IE in the beacon. Android, IOS apps cannot do that.

Colin,

Is there a specific reason for that-- meaning something intrinsic preventing a mobile OS from being able to read the beacon frames--or you just don't know of any apps that do?

Russell

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: