Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Advertise AP Name not working

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Advertise AP Name not working

Posted Feb 14, 2016 03:53 PM

I've turned on advertise-ap-name in all of my ssid profiles, however I don't see that come through in my monitoring apps like Ekahau Site Survey or even the droid Aruba Utilities app.

(lab-MASTER-620) #show wlan ssid-profile aruba-homelab-ssid_prof

SSID Profile "aruba-homelab-ssid_prof"
    --------------------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    SSID enable Enabled
    ESSID aruba-homelab
    Hide SSID Disabled
    Advertise AP Name Enabled

Screenshot_2016-02-14-12-16-02.png

I've verified that it does show up in the beacon frames using wireshark.  

Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 12.41.18 PM.png

Where and/or what apps is this intended to be advertised to?  It would be very useful if it showed up in surveying tools and the Aruba Utilities app.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Advertise AP Name not working
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2016 10:51 PM

Aruba Utilities uses the bss-table mapping, not the information from management frames. I don't believe any Android or iOS app will process the vendor specific field.

Many apps on Mac OS and Ekahau and AirMagnet on Windows will see the ap-name data.

• 3.  RE: Advertise AP Name not working

Posted Feb 14, 2016 11:15 PM

Thanks Tim, figured that might be the case, would be nice if the Aruba Utility could read it at least on the droid.  Sounds like a feature request ;)

• 4.  RE: Advertise AP Name not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2016 11:18 PM
    Aruba utilities can show you the ap-name by using the list APs button. It will login to the controller and grep the bss table. 

Sent from Nine

• 5.  RE: Advertise AP Name not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2016 09:06 AM
    Aruba utilities will show the name if you have either (1) an Aruba controller defined in the App or (2) Airwave server that is monitoring those access points defined .

Advertise AP name only works with Airmagnet or Ekahau products that are looking for the name in a specific IE in the beacon. Android, IOS apps cannot do that.

• 6.  RE: Advertise AP Name not working

Posted Mar 29, 2017 12:44 PM

Advertise AP name only works with Airmagnet or Ekahau products that are looking for the name in a specific IE in the beacon. Android, IOS apps cannot do that.

Colin,

Is there a specific reason for that-- meaning something intrinsic preventing a mobile OS from being able to read the beacon frames--or you just don't know of any apps that do?

Russell