Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Advise needed: Aruba AP's and Captive Portal, what is needed?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Advise needed: Aruba AP's and Captive Portal, what is needed?

Posted Oct 10, 2017 10:23 AM

Hello all,

For my company I am investigating several brands to see which brand suits our needs best when we want to replace our current AP's.

Aruba is one of the vendors which we are looking into but I have got a question and I am hoping that the experts here are able to provide me with an answer :)

We are looking for a replacement for our current WiFi AP's. The new solution needs to have central management of the AP's and the capability of a captive portal for guest access.

From a vender we got Aruba AP305's as AP's and Aruba Airwave as management software offered.

From what I can make of the documentation of Airwave it is capable of managing the AP's in your network but I cannot find anything about captive portal(s).

Can you setup a captive portal with Airwave or do you need ClearPass for this?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Advise needed: Aruba AP's and Captive Portal, what is needed?
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Oct 10, 2017 12:17 PM

You realy should chat with a local reseller/integrator or something. They should be able to explain you all the options alot quicker than we can by typing it all out here.

If your vendor only gave pricing for APs and Airwave then I sure hope those AP's where of the IAP (instant AP) variety? 

In short, yes you can configure Instant APs (controller based APs too by the way) to provide a captive portal.

Both the Instant AP and controller based solution only give a portal with basic customisation. For a fully fletched portal with all the bells and whistles you will need  to add Clearpass.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvK68t4dTGs) video can give you a good idea about captive portals on the Instant platform.

• 3.  RE: Advise needed: Aruba AP's and Captive Portal, what is needed?

Posted Oct 11, 2017 02:41 AM

Hi Koen,

Thanks for your reply. I understand from the quote that the reseller offered AP-305 and not IAP-305, not sure if that is the same AP or not.

I will contact them to let them better explain this.

Thanks anyway.

• 4.  RE: Advise needed: Aruba AP's and Captive Portal, what is needed?

MVP
    Posted Oct 11, 2017 04:47 AM

Small addition.

Controllerless APs are called Instant AP (IAP). IAPs can be converted to campus APs

Currently most AP codes are campus APs, requiring a controller to work. These campus APs can not be converted into IAPs.

FYI:

Aruba has just started moving towards unified APs. All new models will be released as unified APs but currently only the following Aps are unified AP's I believe.:

• AP-203H Hospitality Access Point
    • AP-203R Remote Access Point
    • AP-303H Hospitality Access Point
    • AP-365/367 Outdoor Access Points

Unified AP's are pretty much IAPs and campus APs all in one.

More info at http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Aruba-Unified-AP-platform/ba-p/295661

• 5.  RE: Advise needed: Aruba AP's and Captive Portal, what is needed?

MVP
    Posted Oct 10, 2017 12:18 PM

double