Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Advise on redundancy?

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

We have 2 Aruba 650 controllers. They are on seperate locations in the country, on seperated VLANs. There's a 50Mbit L3 connection between these 2 locations.

What we would like to achieve:

-tell our RAP 2WG's which controller should be the primary controller. For people working in location A, we would like their RAPs to connect to the controller in location A and for people working in location B, we would like their raps to connect to the controller in location B, of course :)

-if either controller A or controller B is not available, we would like the RAP to automatically connect to the other controller. This also has to work when RAPs are switched on while either controller is not available.

How would we go about this?

Right now, the controllers are both set up as a master. I added the RAP-macs to the white-list on controller A and B. On controller A, the AP group that contains the RAP2WG has the AP System Profile set so that the LMS IP is set to controller A and the LMS Backup to controller B. The other controller of course, is set the other way around. However, when controller A goes down, the connected RAP does not switch to controller B, it just keeps on rebooting and trying to connect to controller A it seems.

Info that might matter: the initial connection from the RAP to controller A is made by manually entering controller A IP in the web-interface of the RAP 2WG. When I reset the RAP 2WG and enter the IP of controller B, it connects to controller B just fine. But it doesn't seem to 'listen' to the LMS settings.

I guess I'm doing something wrong, I hope someone can tell me what I'm missing :)

MVP

Re: Advise on redundancy?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Good afternoon

it's very simple :smileywink:

• Create two different ap-groups (one for each location) - those groups will be for the raps units only
  • in each ap-group configure your ap-system profile with lms and backup lms (in one ap-group X is the lms and Y is the backup-lms,and in the 2nd ap-group Y is the lms and X is the backup-lms) *don't forget to mark the preemption*
  • THAT'S IT (ofcourse in those ap-groups insert all the other config+vaps you would like)
  • After that just provision each rap to the AP-GROUP based on the location/site.

Untitledsys.png

finto! :smileyhappy:

Me.

*****************2Plus Wireless Solutions****************************
Aruba Airheads - Powered By community for empower the community
************ Don't Forget to Kudos + me,If i helped you******************
Frequent Contributor II

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply! That sounds good. But on which controller should I set up these 2 groups? On both? On just one? Should they both be Master or should 1 be Local? Remember, the 2 controllers are on different locations/VLAN's, they can only communicate on L3.

Also, I think I already have something like this set up. On X, I have a ap-group where X is the LMS and Y the back-up LMS. But when X goes down, the RAP that is connected to X does not switch to Y. It just sits rebooting forever it seems. Could it be because I have not ticked Preemption?

Also, what happens if the RAP is switched on when its configured master controller is not available? Does the RAP remember the Backup LMS and is it then able to connect to the Backup LMS instead of the configured master controller?

MVP

Thanks for your reply! That sounds good. But on which controller should I set up these 2 groups? On both? On just one? Should they both be Master or should 1 be Local? Remember, the 2 controllers are on different locations/VLAN's, they can only communicate on L3.

on both controllers. build idinctal ap-groups  with iditncal ap-system profile.both controllers are masters as far i understand from u.

Also, I think I already have something like this set up. On X, I have a ap-group where X is the LMS and Y the back-up LMS. But when X goes down, the RAP that is connected to X does not switch to Y. It just sits rebooting forever it seems. Could it be because I have not ticked Preemption?

the preemption is telling the ap to choose the LMS when he his back to service. (u should read a bit about lms hold-down and bootstrap - it may shorter you time)

Untitled33.png

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Mobility-Controllers/LMS-Preemption/td-p/62898

Also, what happens if the RAP is switched on when its configured master controller is turned off? Does it remember the Backup LMS?

yes - as long as it provisined with the need configuration/apgroup before it's happend :)

Frequent Contributor II

Thanks for your help, but my problem remains that the RAP does not switch to the Backup LMS when the LMS becomes unavailable.

I also find no signs of it trying to connect to the Backup LMS in the Process Log of the backup LMS. So it just seems to ignore the setting.

Also, I read elsewhere on these support forums that the RAPS only remember a single Master Controller address when they are rebooted. They do not remember the LMS and BackupLMS according to those posts. If you are right, this behaviour has changed?

MVP

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your help, but my problem remains that the RAP does not switch to the Backup LMS when the LMS becomes unavailable.

how did u tested it? did u lower the timers ?

regarding your 2nd question:

The access point only needs to contact ONE controller to be operational. It can then be redirected to wherever its home is, using LMS-IP and then to the Backup LMS-IP if that initial controller goes away.

Frequent Contributor II

I have the RAP connected to Controller A. The AP-GROUP tells the RAP that LMS is IP of Controller A. The Backup LMS is IP of Controller B. I can confirm these settings are succesfully provisioned to the RAP, by using the 'Diagnostics-tab, System Status and entering the IP of the RAP and then checking 'LMS Information'.

When I pull the power plug from controller A, I expect the RAP to connect to Controller B after a minute or so. But it does not seem to happen.

Let me check one more time to be sure :) I'll let you know in 5 minutes.

MVP

[ Edited ]

it might  take more then 5 minutes if u will not lower the timers - just for the test.

MVP

some posts to read:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Controllers/APs-failing-onto-master-instead-of-backup-lms/td-p/11191

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Mobility-Controllers/LMS-Preemption/td-p/62898

Frequent Contributor II

[ Edited ]

I am not using preemption. Preemption means the RAP automatically disconnects from the Backup LMS and reconnects to the LMS after X seconds. My problem is that it won't even go to the Backup LMS, so the setting and the timers have nothing to do with this problem?

[quote]The access point only needs to contact ONE controller to be operational. It can then be redirected to wherever its home is, using LMS-IP and then to the Backup LMS-IP if that initial controller goes away.[/quote]

so what happens when the controller that redirects it to the LMS or Backup LMS is not available?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: