Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 13, 2014 11:18 AM

It seems that all of our controllers are flakey running any version of 6.x but our 3200 seems to be the worst.

We were previously running 5.0.3.3 and our 3200 controller ran great. All the devices stayed connected. We upgraded to version 6.2.1.4 because of new devices that required version 6.x. We also upgraded the memory per Aruba support. Ever since then the controller has been unstable. We monitor all our devices using SolarWinds and we see the controller go down randomly. During this time, we may or may not be able to get to the controller. Most of the time when the controller is responding again all the devices connect back up. Every once in a while the devices will not come back up and show as dirty. If I make a change on the controller, such as enable and then disable spanning tree, everything comes back up.

We have had support look at the controller and our network configuration. They made some minor changes but it only seemed to help for a couple of days.

The controller says that it has not gone down and support says they could not find anything in the logs saying that it lost connection..

Any ideas of where to look?

Thanks,

Larry

• 2.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 13, 2014 11:31 AM
    Are you sending syslogs to your Solarwinds?
    Right when you lose access to the controller is there anyway to know how much memory it is using up?

How many APs are connecting to it?

• 3.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 13, 2014 11:43 AM

We have 11 devices connected to the controller. We are not sending syslogs to SolarWinds. I haven't been able to tell how much memory is being used. The last time the device lost connection was over the weekend whn there was little, if any use on the RAPS.

We have the following conencted:

1 ap-105

4 RAP-2WG

4 RAP-5WN

2 RAP-109

We have seen this same type of activity on our 620 controllers but not as bad.

• 4.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 13, 2014 06:29 PM

Is the controller rebooting, or losing connecitvity to the network? You can run the command "show switchinfo" to check the controller uptime.

Also, are there redundant links from the controller to the uplink switch and in that case is spanning-tree enabled?

• 5.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 13, 2014 07:34 PM

It is loosing connectivity to the network.

Uptime is over 6 days

Link status just changed 20 hrs ago.

There are no redundant links. Spanning Tree is disabled

The port on our Cisco switch is a basic trunked port. It is not showing any errors.

Thanks

Larry

• 6.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 13, 2014 11:15 PM

When you experience this can you run show spanning-tree summary on your uplink side and see what's the status of your controller VLAN to see if it is getting blocked by stp on your uplink.

Is that VLAN just for your controller management ?

• 7.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 14, 2014 11:45 AM

You can run "show port link-event" to see how many up/down events occurred on the interface.

• 8.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 14, 2014 12:04 PM

Hi Viktor,

I can try and catch it.

This vlan is for the controller and all the aruba devices. All the clients that connect to the devices also use this vlan.

Thanks,

Larry

• 9.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 14, 2014 02:30 PM

I have seen this with 6.2.1.4 and TAC recommended to go to 6.2.1.5. 

BTW Are you running OSPF?

• 10.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 14, 2014 04:14 PM

We were at 6.2.1.5 and Aruba support had us downgrade to 6.2.1.4.

No, we are not running OSPF

Did going to 6.2.1.5 fix your issue?

Thanks,

Larry

• 11.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 14, 2014 05:44 PM

We just had the interface go down again. Nothing is showing in the logs. Only way I have been able to get all the device clean again is to enable and then disable spanning tree on the controller.

I didn't see anything on the switch as show spanning-tree summary did not show anything. I think because the link goes up and down so quickly.

show port link-event just tells me that the link is up. The cound is still only 1 up and 0 down

show switchinfo just tells me that the link has been up for 5 minutes but the controller has been up for 7 days.

Any other ideas to check?

• 12.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 14, 2014 11:09 PM

We've seen the same issue on 6.1.4.6 and 3.4.5.2, working with Aruba TAC right now to figure root cause.

• 13.  RE: After upgrading Aruba 3200 controller to ver 6.x, controller randomly looses connection to network.

Posted Jan 19, 2014 11:57 PM

@victorfabian wrote:

When you experience this can you run show spanning-tree summary on your uplink side and see what's the status of your controller VLAN to see if it is getting blocked by stp on your uplink.

Nothing is getting blocked.