Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirGroup override ACLs

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AirGroup override ACLs

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 03:26 PM

Need some clarification on AirGroup in the controller.

We have a user-role that denies access to multicast (224.0.0.0 255.0.0.0), however, when I am in that role, I can discover and airplay to the AppleTV in the room. I check my datapath session table and I see the denied flag for 224.0.0.251, however, I am still able to do everything. Bluetooth is disabled on my device.

1. Does AirGroup override the user-role ACLs?

We added my user-role to the "Disallowed Roles" in the AirPlay service, deleted my session, and I was still able to AirPlay to the AppleTV.

2. How does Disallowed VLANs/Roles restrict or deny access to AirPlay? 

We have tried everything except block the Bonjour port in the user-role, but nothing seems to stop me from discoverying and airplaying to the AppleTV.

• 2.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 03:51 PM

AirGroup does not control datapath, it only controls the proxying of advertisements.

Are the two devices in the same VLAN and/or same role?

• 3.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 03:55 PM

Ok, is there any other IP addresses for mDNS/Bonjour or Airplay ports that may be used beyond 224.x.x.x? 

We are denying 224.0.0.0/8 and I see that traffic being denied in the controller, but I'm still able to AirPlay successfully and can't seem to figure out why it's allowing me access.

• 4.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 03:59 PM
    For kicks, try denying UDP 5353.

• 5.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 04:08 PM

added entry of any any udp 5353 deny and I am still able to AirPlay. I am in a different user-role than the AppleTV. My user-role is the one I setup the deny for, the AppleTV is permitted to do AirGroup.

I'm not sure why the controller is showing Denied, but it's still working.

• 6.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 04:12 PM
    Wonder if the device has it cached somehow? mDNS is only used for discovery, not the actual content sharing.

• 7.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 04:17 PM

So mDNS (224.0.0.251) is used for discovery and Bonjour UDP 5353 is used for the sharing? 

I read that the controller converts the advertisements or discovery to unicast with AirGroup. Is that true? If so where does the unicast source and destination - me to the controller?

• 8.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 04:22 PM
    224.0.0.251:5353 is mDNS advertisements. mDNS is only used for service discovery, just like SSDP (used with DLNA).

The controller really only proxies it in the case of it crossing a subnet/VLAN boundary. The “server” advertisement is sucked up from source VLAN and processed and added to the AirGroup table. When a client queries for a service, the controller processes the query and then depending on policy, responds back to the client with the IP address of “server”.

• 9.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 04:26 PM

Ok I think i'm starting to understand this a little better. So what protocol / port is used for the content sharing between my apple iphone and apple tv? I think that's what I'm really trying to block, not necessarily the discovery, but the actual airplaying or casting.

• 10.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 04:31 PM

It's going to be difficult to block since it uses standard RTP/RTSP. You'll end up blocking a lot of other things.

If you have drop broadcast multicast enabled, you shouldn't have to worry about anything. 

• 11.  RE: AirGroup override ACLs

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 04:33 PM

Thanks for your help and the clarification, I think I understand why things are not being blocked right now, discovered is another story but we will continue to review.

I also found this post on Apple explaining ports used by AirPlay and other apple services:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4849637?tstart=0

Thanks again.