Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airgroup without Clearpass

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Airgroup without Clearpass

Posted Apr 09, 2014 09:37 AM

I have an Aruba network running ArubaOS 6.3. My school is currently thinking about putting Apple TVs in our classrooms (wired) so that they can mirror off their laptops (wireless). I believe AirGroup will allow me to have a setup wherein you only see an Apple TV if you are connected to a nearby access point. My question is, can I do this without ClearPass, or without ClearPass is AirGroup severely limited?

• 2.  RE: Airgroup without Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2014 09:41 AM

In order to have location and advanced user context, you need ClearPass.

• 3.  RE: Airgroup without Clearpass

Posted Apr 10, 2014 09:34 AM

Yes, you can absolutely do it without Clearpass. I've got an environment for a customer that has 15 AppleTV's and 5 different SSID's. We are able to airplay, airprint & mirror across those networks without issue. Clearpass does give you finer controls over who is and who is not authorized to perform airgroup functions, but its certainly not a requirement.

• 4.  RE: Airgroup without Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2014 09:45 AM

You are correct that AirGroup works fine without ClearPass, but if you need context outside of user role (AP, AP group / building, individual users, etc), then you will need ClearPass.