Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airgroup works only when on different access points

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Airgroup works only when on different access points

Posted Dec 30, 2015 10:11 AM

We are implementing Airgroup for a specific need on campus.  We had it setup with Clarpass to restrict access but we could not get it working the way we wanted to.  Since then we have backed off Clearpass and just have it running on the controllers until we can figure this out.  Airgroup works just fine but only when we the AppleTV and client is not connected to the same access point for every Mac client we have.  Once we are on the same access point it only seems to work for newer Iphones/Ipads but not my Macbook Air that is about 4 years old.  They all have the latest updates on the Apple side.  I have ruled out any sort of Bluetooth direct conenct by shutting off Bluetooth on the clients we are trying to connect from.  Taking a sniff on my laptop while connected from a different access point I can see a healthy connection and once I roam to the same AP I get a bunch of retransmissions and then it just goes silent.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Thanks,

Rob

• 2.  RE: Airgroup works only when on different access points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2015 10:29 AM

Are the Apple TVs on the same subnet as the users?  

What version of Aruba Controller software is this?

• 3.  RE: Airgroup works only when on different access points

Posted Dec 30, 2015 10:39 AM

Yes for now the AppleTV and the Clients are on the same Subnet.  Version 6.4.2.12 and we have even tried moving the AP's to the same controller but that does not make a difference in funcionality.

• 4.  RE: Airgroup works only when on different access points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2015 10:40 AM

Are you saying that the access points are on different controllers?

• 5.  RE: Airgroup works only when on different access points

Posted Dec 30, 2015 10:41 AM

They were on different controllers however moving them to the same controller does not impact the outcome.  We still had the same results.

• 6.  RE: Airgroup works only when on different access points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2015 10:44 AM

If the users and the Apple TV is on the same subnet, just turn off "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" on the Virtual AP that the user is connected to, and turn off Airgroup.  

Airgroup is only needed if the users and the Apple TV are on different subnets OR you have Drop Broadcast and Multicast enabled at the Virtual AP level.

• 7.  RE: Airgroup works only when on different access points

Posted Jun 27, 2018 05:06 AM

Hi!

I have a similar but different problem with Airgroup. I have drop multicast/broadcast turned on, I have Airgroup enabled, the apple tv and Ipad are connected to the same ap, they are on the same subnet, but are in different roles. I setup cppm for airgroup server, and registered the appletv to be shared with Group02. The appletv is connected to an open ssid, that is doing MAC auth in cppm. The Ipad is logged in with 802.1x and is placed in Group01 by cppm (this can be seen in access tracker). Also on controller, it can be seen in airgroup servers, that the apple tv is shared by Group02. But still, I can do airplay to it. Also, I have enforce registration enabled.

Basically I don't want the apple TV to be seen by people from different groups, but right now everyone can access it.

I am running VMC 8.3.0.0 and CPPM 6.7.0.

I already have a TAC case open for like 3 weeks for this problem, and the controller engineer seems to see everything OK and the CPPM engineer seems to see everything OK. So I was just wondering weather someone has a better idea,... something trivial that I might be missing..

Thanks in advance!

Daniel