Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

Posted May 17, 2018 10:54 AM

I have a master/local setup with two 7210s running 6.4.4.16_61809.  I am trying to get a Sonos Connect to work on a PSK SSID.  The process always stalls at the point where the Connect and the app attempt to discover each other.  I can confirm that they're both connected to the same SSID (plus same VLAN), and have an appropriate role assigned.  Here's the nitty gritty:

AirGroup configuration in the controller should only be necessary if broadcast filtering is turned on in the VAP, or if the devices are on separate VLANs.  However, at least one forum post indicated that it may be necessary to enable AirGroup even with no broadcast filtering and with devices on the same VLAN.  Fine, so i enabled Airplay, DIAL, and DLNA Media.  No luck.  So I issued 'show airgroup blocked-service-id' to see what's being blocked.  I can see by filtering by the IP of the SONOS, some service IDs are being blocked.  So I made a new AirGroup.... list? and added those service IDs, along with all the service IDs that other Airheads suggested.  Still no luck.  

I did a wireshark capture from another device on the same SSID, and I didn't see any traffic from the Sonos or the client.  However, using a network diagnostics app on the client, I can see the Sonos device.

• 2.  RE: Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 11:41 AM

What version of AOS are you running? Also, what role(s) are assigned to client and/or Sonos gear?

• 3.  RE: Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

Posted May 17, 2018 11:43 AM

We're running 6.4.4.16_61809.  The devices are assigned a role to which I have added an any-any firewall rule for the purposes of testing.

• 4.  RE: Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2018 11:55 AM

Turn off Airgroup AND broadcast filtering:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/Airgroup-services-not-seen-throughout-IAP-cluster/m-p/309155/highlight/true#M19488

Type "commit apply" after disabling airgroup.

There is a way to enable Sonos, but it requires pasting in quite a few airgroupservice strings...

• 5.  RE: Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

Posted May 17, 2018 12:58 PM

Hmm...

(Aruba-Master-A) (config) #no airgroup
    % Incomplete command.

(Aruba-Master-A) (config) #no airgroup ?
    active-domain           Configure active-domain for AirGroup cluster
    cppm-server             Server Information
    domain                  Configure AirGroup Domain
    global-credits          credits assigned to mdns packets
    ipv6                    ipv6 support for Airgroup
    policy                  Configure AirGroup policy for a server
    static                  Configure static record

We would like to retain use of AirGroup for other purposes, so I am inclined to use service strings to enable it for the Sonos.  Here's what I'm using:

airgroupservice "sonos"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:VirtualLineIn:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupRenderingControl:1"
      id "urn:schemas-sonos-com:service:Queue:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:GroupManagement:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ZoneGroupTopology:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:SystemProperties:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:DeviceProperties:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AudioIn:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:MusicServices:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AlarmClock:1"
      id "urn:smartspeaker-audio:service:SpeakerGroup:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:ZonePlayer:1"
      id "urn:schemas-tencent-com:service:QPlay:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:RenderingControl:1"
      id "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1"
      description "Ugh."

• 6.  RE: Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

Posted May 17, 2018 04:28 PM

I did packet captures using both the non-working Aruba setup and a working setup using a residential wireless router.  The difference is clear: in the working setup, there is a sequence of packets identified by Wireshark as SSDP.  The format of these packets appears similar to an HTTP request; and in the payload, I see reference to the service IDs that I had attempted to permit, for example:

ST: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:ZonePlayer:1\r

It appears that the controller is still blocking these packets.  When I issue 'show airgroup blocked-service-id', none of them appear.  Repeated attempts show the same behaviour.

• 7.  RE: Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2018 09:33 AM

It's been awhile since I've personally worked on getting Sonos speakers running over wireless, but the last time I did I used this as a baseline:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-could-we-have-the-Sonos-wireless-speakers-work-with-Aruba/ta-p/234162

• 8.  RE: Airplay and Sonos - what am I missing?

Posted May 18, 2018 11:23 AM

Yes, thanks.  I used that as a baseline, too.  The confounding thing - if any service IDs are being blocked, they should show up with 'show airgroup blocked-service-id'.  

We are going to give up on this project and return the Sonos units.