Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Airplay disconnection problems

Currently running AOS 6.3.1.1 on a 7200 controller. I have a dozen or so Apple TV's in the building. Most are running the latest update of their software. I can connect to an ATV and push content via airplay for a short period, times varying between 10 seconds and 20 minutes. I then get kicked off. No warning, no error message, ATV just goes back to the normal screen.

I try to reconnect and all I get is "Could not connect to 'Apple TV'"

If I disable and re-enable the airplay service under airgroup, I can reconnect again, or if I reboot the ATV, I can reconnect again... until it disconnects me. 

There are no disallowed vlans. We do not run ClearPass, so force registration is disabled. No airgroup domains are defined.

The ATV shows as an airplay server on the dashboard. My laptop shows as a client.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Re: Airplay disconnection problems

Just got off the horn with Aruba TAC. Apparently, the problem lies with an incompatibility with some apple devices and the HT protocols. Disabling HT and VHT on the ssid that the ATV's connect to corrects the issue.

FYI: The Apple TV that I'm using to test is a 2nd gen device, model MC572LL/a. I will test with the higher models as well.

I don't like the fact that I have to disable HT for the entire SSID, as I connect more than just Apple TV's through that network. Good news is that because of Airgroup, I can put all the HT compatible devices on a separate SSID and still connect through to the ATVs.

Frequent Contributor I

Hello, can you tell me where I can disabling the HT and the VHT?

Thank you

Guru Elite

Under the radio profiles

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor II

Call me crazy but it looks like you are disabling that on the radio itself under the default radio.

Any AP Group that is using that "default" radio profile would be affected.  This doesn't seem to be under the SSID Profile as you were talking about. 

I've seen issues with the ATV's too.  Can anyone verify that this is a good option for a fix?  What type of hit in performance would we take by disabling these two features?

Am I right?

Frequent Contributor II

Actually after looking.  It looks like I'd lose my 802.11n capabilities.  Not good.  Does aruba have a fix for this other than having us disable these features.

I've seen very similar behaviors.

Frequent Contributor II

Okay I think this is where it needs disabled...

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 10.26.28 PM.png

Guru Elite

Sorry, I missed that. I thought you were asking about the radio.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

We use appleTV quite a bit, so we already had a  separate SSID set up for it. Our user SSID uses WPA2-ENT, which is "complex" when using an appleTV, so the separate SSID is set to WPA2-PSK and is only for the appleTV's and a few other mobile devices.

If I hadn't already done it, I would have made a separate SSID just to isolate the lack of .11N/AC as much as possible, and only moved troublesome devices to that network.

I do have some appleTV's that work fine with HT. I haven't done a full check, but it looks like only Gen3 and later will work, even with the latest firmware.

If I can work the time to test, I'll post more specific results.

We are in the same boat here with ATV disconnects and behavior just as the original post. 

Aruba: what is the solution?

Thank you.

Mike

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: