Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave rogue detection only in 2 rooms

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airwave rogue detection only in 2 rooms

Posted May 02, 2018 11:21 AM

Today our airwave is only alerting on wired to wireless, and cloned SSID detection. I have been tasked to also monitor rogue devices such as MIFI's and laptops running adhoc from our datacenters only. Is that possible to monitor and alert on those devices only from AM's installed in those rooms. Looking at the rapids rules section doesn't seem to be a way to setup a rule to only detect on certain AM's or AP group. Does anyone know how this could be done?

• 2.  RE: Airwave rogue detection only in 2 rooms

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2018 01:26 PM

It'd be a feature request for a rule action, trigger/alert action.

A workaround method could be: have those devices isolated into group or folder.  Then run a 'new rogue devices' report on the selected group(s) / folders(s).  And you could have that report set to run and email to your inbox hourly.

• 3.  RE: Airwave rogue detection only in 2 rooms

Posted May 09, 2018 04:27 PM

Would there be anyway to SNMP trap filter with our monitoring tool based on detection by only those AP's? I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to send the detecting AP. I will investigate the report methode I think they wanted to have something that was realtime monitoring we would put up warning signs on the data center doors said to notify our operations before using a MiFI device.

• 4.  RE: Airwave rogue detection only in 2 rooms

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2018 05:11 PM

You could try:

System -> Triggers, Type = Device Event

Create a trigger for SNMP Traps for rogue discovery events from the controller, and have that set to send to an external NMS setup.

(You'd have to setup the external NMS monitoring from AMP Setup -> NMS to get the NMS alert option at the bottom of the trigger setting)

I haven't done this, but it seems like it could work if I knew what the discovery event messages looked like.

• 5.  RE: Airwave rogue detection only in 2 rooms

Posted May 09, 2018 06:26 PM

What about an IDS profile on the controller configured to an AP group that only has 1 Air Monitor in it. I don't know much about IDS need to learn more about that.