Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Alexa mdns blocked in AOS8

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Alexa mdns blocked in AOS8

Posted May 22, 2018 05:36 AM

Hi Team,

I am still playing around with AOS8 (in this case 8.3.0.0, 7005 md WLC) and this time I have a PSK SSID to which an Amazon Echo Dot is connected. The problem is, that the Echo cannot connect to a device in the same subnet (wired). This does not happen if I replace my Aruba AP with an AP from another Vendor. I am pretty sure that "something" is blocking mdns... But.. where? Tried to find a clue in the user-debug logs but that one didn`t help me out. Anyone has an idea where to look deeper? Or where to turn off all mdns related let`s call it "policing"?

Regards

Stefan

• 2.  RE: Alexa mdns blocked in AOS8

Posted May 22, 2018 07:16 AM
    Do you have “drop broadcast/multicast” enabled under the virtual-ap?

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Alexa mdns blocked in AOS8

Posted May 22, 2018 07:28 AM

double checked that - but unfortunately no. it is not activated. (checked at Managed Network and also on controller level)

• 4.  RE: Alexa mdns blocked in AOS8

Posted May 22, 2018 10:09 AM

Update:

It works if I choose Bridge mode... with Tunnel mode I do not get a connection between a Philips Hue and my Echo dot :-(

I simply cannot find the knob to push...

• 5.  RE: Alexa mdns blocked in AOS8

Posted May 22, 2018 12:21 PM

Also working with Alexa/Aruba here. In my case there were some firewall rules, preventing Alexa from talking outbound to the internet. You might look at your AirGroup settings see what's enabled/disabled. 

I'm running versin AOS 6.5.4.4 with AP's in tunnel mode. So far so good getting Alexa to talk to Hue and LeMetric. Keep in mind that the traffic isn't necessarily peer-to-peer, it's often making a round trip through your wired network to the controller.