Wireless Access

Android Devices Not In User Table

I have an issue where multiple Samsung android devices are not added to the user table when connecting to our guest SSID.  All of them are able to obtain an IP address.  Their default gateway even shows an ARP entry for the device.  However, no entry in the user table so the device can't hit the captive portal to login.  I am testing with the following devices: (2) Samsung Notes on different firmwares, Samsung Galaxy S3 & S4, and a Samsung tablet.  I can connect any iOS device to guest and it does not have this issue.  I know it's not Android specific as I'm seeing other Android devices in the user table, but I'm unsure of the manufacturer.

I'm running AOS 6.2.1.3.  Also, I have a case open w/ TAC, and wanted to get some feedback from the community while support works on this.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.

Re: Samsung Devices Not In User Table

Do you see these devices in a "show station-table" output?

Not seen this personally...

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)

Are you able to see them in the show ap association ?

Is this happening on both roles : captiveportal-logon-role and guest ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

Yes, I see the devices in the station table and I can see them associated to an AP.

This is happening for the captive portal role, but not guest since they can't get to the CP for logon.

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.

Yes, that would follow.

I've got a theory.

What happens if you set a valid static address on the device? Can you do that?

Assumes you haven't prevented the use of statics in your Aruba config of course.

So the device is not able to see the Captive Portal page ?

Is this a controller captive portal or ClearPass guest ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

We're not enforcing DHCP.  I set the IP statically on the device and had the same result as before.  Device shows up as associated, but not in the user table.

The captive portal is on ClearPass.  The devices do not get redirected to the captive portal.

That ruins my theory! Thought it might have been dhcp issue of some sort.

You'll never of course get the cp until you're in the session table.

This is very odd.

I think the next thing to look at would be a "show ap tech" output from an ap when one of these devices is attached to it.

Anything in particular that would be of concern in the output of show ap tech?

Latest response from TAC is install 6.3. :smileyindifferent:

If I had the output, I'd be looking for salient information about the client connection state at layer 2 and 3 (if any). Probably by searching for the client mac. Really looking for anything clearly wrong.

I think you should ask the TAC for rationale for that recommendation. If none, you're within your rights to ask for escalation.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: